Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Steak

Just wanted to share my experience with Prime Steak last night. I have never cooked a prime steak, only because it's not readily available. I know you can go online and order from Snake River and whatnot, but it's never been around in any of the grocery stores or butchers in my area.

I just got a membership to Costco, and low and behold, they carry prime steaks. So I finally got my chance. I wood grilled those steaks over cherry on my Engelbrecht Braten last night, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, it was not only the best steak I've ever grilled, it was the best steak I've ever eaten.

I'd say it made all the difference in the world. I cooked it perfectly, which isn't hard with the incredible control you get with the Braten. But it's 15 hours later, and I'm still thinking about how good that steak was. So I don't think I'll ever downgrade again. It's prime or better from here on out.

Anyone else have the same experience? Or would you recommend finding Wagyu on Snake River or other places? I'm curious to see if my steak experience can get even better than last night. I've been wood grilling for 9 years, and I never thought I would reach a plateau like I did with last night's strip steak. Now I'm wondering if American Kobe would be even better.

The American Wagyu is good, authentic Japanese Wagyu is even better. They are better in a sense than the USDA Prime you get at Costco but with price and availability taken into account, my go to remains the Costco prime steaks. They're certainly as good or better than any steaks you'll have at a steak house. I'd say definitely splurge and try the Wagyu varieties but ultimately you'll stick with the prime.

Every few months I go to costco and pick up a 13-14 lb prime striploin. It's $7.99/lb, requires a little trimming, but nothing too bad, slice it into 1.5" steaks. I'll get around 12-14 steaks, vacuum seal them and freeze and they're perfect. If I buy an individual prime New York at my local grocery store it's $22.00/lb so it's just a no brainer, plus I enjoy the novelty of slicing them up myself.

P.S.
    I have extreme grill envy of your Engelbrecht. Those things are beautiful.

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a 13 lb A5 striploin from Costco. The first one they sent was subpar. I let them know and they honored it, sent me a new one immediately and I sent back the bad one. By bad I mean it was still an incredible looking piece of meat but not to the level of what I know authentic wagyu is supposed to be. They agreed and there was no problem.

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Costco gets it from http://www.wagyushop.com but because of Costco's customer service and willingness to stand behind what they sell, I'd feel way more comfortable ordering it from them. Plus its the best price you'll find.

• jt0940
      jt0940 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. Thanks!!!

Just stay away from Select cuts. Choice depending on where you get it from can be real close to prime as well. The choice cuts @ my local sprouts are always nice.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with JakeT , try ordering some wagyu either cross bred American or authentic Japanese and satisfy your curiosity. For me it's not worth the extra money. It's a totally different steak experience. I like steak fat but I want to taste the meat as the primary flavor. To me wagyu is almost too much fat, you get burnt out on it quickly. I can sit down and easily eat 10 ounces of prime but could never come close to that with true wagyu, so there's a satisfaction component there.

Again I do urge you to splurge and try wagyu but your go to is going to be prime. I would also suggest that you try dry aging with the Umai dry aging bags. They are relatively cheap and it really does change the beef for a whole new added dimension even to prime steak. That's going to get you to steak house quality meat.

Next time take some pictures and show us your results.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea go for it. Plenty of YouTube videos on the subject as well.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems a bit small to me.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what she said

Some retailers can get "top" choice which is close to prime and in some cases can be better than beef that just barely made the prime grade. So if I go somewhere that has both prime and choice, I buy whichever has the best marbling. Some of the best steaks I have ever cooked were Fresh Market's version of "top" choice.

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you brother. The label always doesnt make it so. Inspect that meat thoroughly.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I also agree with this. Costco here has 4 packs of top choice ribeyes and strips and we can hardly tell them apart from prime once cooked.

I appreciate the comments. I will definitely give American Wagyu a shot. I attached a couple of photos. The finished product (topped with blue cheese) and a shot of the fire box. You can get such amazing control with the Engelbrecht, with the ability to raise and lower the grate, as well as cover the grates with the grill lid to produce an oven effect. This gives the ability to cook with active fire, instead of waiting until it’s reduced to coals. I can’t say enough good things about the Engelbrecht. Every thing I’ve grilled on it has turned out top notch.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Deeeelish !!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here