Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket No. 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket No. 3

So I've got brisket no. 3 in the fridge, planning on a Saturday cook. Ive got the Black Ops rub ready to go, but I want to dry rub as well. My question is, should I trim and dry rub the brisket Friday night with a light coating of salt, then put the black ops on Saturday morning around 4AM? or should I start the dry brine Friday morning, then add the black ops Friday night, to start cooking at 5AM?

Trim and dry brine Friday night, i.e. your first option.

Comment

I like option, "Trim and apply light coating of salt ASAP"

Comment

I assume when you say dry rub in addition to the Black Ops you mean dry brine? I'll be honest I've dry brined a lot of steaks, tri tips pork chops etc. as of late and have not noticed any difference in flavor from previously not dry brining.
        Probably because I've always seasoned a hour or so before I cook so I suppose in effect I always have been dry brining.

Comment

• wustl-duck
          wustl-duck commented
          Editing a comment
          Frozen, my thoughts exactly and like you, I seem to season meat and do ther prep work before getting the meat in the smoker, effectively dry brining

Yes I definitely meant dry brine*. Frozen Smoke , this will be my first overnight dry brine as opposed to just applying a salty rub or just S&P an hour or two before going on the smoker. We shall see. Either way it doesn't take much more effort because I'll trim regardless Friday night. Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

I always dry brine the night before then season before the cook. I tried Black Ops last weekend and like it but not over my non-salt mix. I don’t think it’s ever too early to dry brine.

Comment

The thicker the meat, the longer I like to dry brine. Butts go for several days, steaks and chicken go overnight, (but will settle for several hours), and I like brisket to brine for two or three days, but will settle for overnight if that's all the time I have.

The ideal is for complete penetration of all the meat, and the thicker the cut, the longer it takes.

Comment

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              So would you recommend starting the dry brine tonight?

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I would recommend starting yesterday. But do it asap.

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              Roger 10-4 good buddy!

Salt only penetrates meat at a certain rate. It might work through a steak overnight, but a brisket, especially at the thick end, might take a couple days I would think.

Comment

Well I got busy with my son and daughter last night so the dry brine didn't happen until tonight...anyway, it's brining away and will be put onto the rectec at 5AM tomorrow. Just love that marbling though!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7481.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	501841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8830.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	501842

Comment

IT at the flat is 182* point at 151*. That point has been super stubborn in the stall, hopefully it starts coming out soon I'm almost getting a little worried. Lookin and smelling great though!

Is the point being that much lower than the flat normal?

Comment

I think it should've stayed on a bit longer, so maybe a tadddddd bit on the tough side. But mostly...damn good.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic looking brisket .... now I’m gonna have to go buy one.

Comment

Looking good! Congrats on the brisket cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Way to go. Looks superb.

Comment

That doesn't look too terribly bad to me, actually pretty dang good !!! On the temperature variation how did you take it? If you had the temp robe stuck in the fat layer between the muscles it may have given you a false reading. If I encounter something like that I go re-probe and take an check areas around it with my Thermopen. Glad it came out to your satisfaction regardless.

Comment

• JakeT
                            JakeT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            wow you went that high eh? I think I'd panic and take it off before then! That's partially I think what happened to mine, the thermometer wasn't necessarily going in like buttah' but i figured it HAD to be done since I cooked it right at 225

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It probably could have used 6-8 more degrees to get it like budda, that's the point. Don't panic just watch the meat, it will "whisper" to you when its done. If that's 210* then so be it.

• JakeT
                            JakeT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can dig it. Pulled pork is going to be next on the weekend smoke menu but when I return for brisket no. 4 I'll do that.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here