Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

select packer brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

select packer brisket

I bought a select packer from a new butcher shop (they just opened) yesterday. Didn't discover the grade until after I made the purchase because the girl behind the counter told me they weren't graded since it was locally raised beef from the area. The packaging of another one behind the glass that said USDA select so I asked whom I assumed to be the manager about it and he apologized and told me it was in fact select beef. I want to smoke this brisket and it will be my first one (8.5-9 pounds), but I wonder, has anyone here had success with smoking select? I know Meathead strongly suggests choice or higher. I also am going to contact them and find out the packaging date, as they weren't able to answer me at the time I was there. Hopefully they will call their supplier and find out so I can get a good age on it.

My plan is to separate the two muscles and smoke low and slow at 225, basically following Meathead's plan to a T. I don't currently plan on injecting, as I don't have a meat syringe, but I will borrow my dad's if it is strongly suggested I do so. I'll be doing this on a Weber Kettle + SnS combo. Does anybody have any tips, ideas, or suggestions to get the most out of this lower grade brisket? Thanks in advance!

I don't usually inject, but you will want to inject this one and give yourself every other advantage you can come up with to maintain moisture and tenderness. The Weber/SnS is a good call, as it tends to maintain a humid environment. The select grade isn't ideal, but you know what? I believe making great food out of what would otherwise be considered an undesirable cut of meat to be the essence of BBQ. Doing more with less is a big part of it for me. Have fun with it and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

• ILikePigButts
      ILikePigButts commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose I might as well take the 1/4 mile trip down the road to get the injector. I'll just do a low sodium beef broth, thanks.

IMO don't sweat it. I have done Select a few times and it will be fine. I would use Salt and Pepper and the SnS at around 225* will work well. I always wrap with a little beef broth after the stall and take it to probe tender--about 205-210*. I believe Select can sometimes end up a little more Roast Beef flavored but don't worry it will be good! Good luck and keep us posted on your cook and the results.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
      ILikePigButts commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully I'll get enough smoke flavor on it to avoid it tasting like pot roast, but that may be the reason the BBQ joint that opened up recently near me had pot roast-tasting brisket. I was not impressed! I hope to do better.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure there have been many thousands of pitmasters who have succeeded with select packers. Join the legion!

You're good. I've probably done way more select than prime. In fact for years I don't even think there was such a thing as prime brisket, just brisket. Now everyone wants prime/wagyu/SRF, I mean come on. Like Steve R. mentioned, fire the thing up and make it yours. Triumph over that slug of meat !!!!

Comment

• ILikePigButts
      ILikePigButts commented
      Editing a comment
      Woo! Now that sounds like a championship winning locker room right there! lol thanks Troutman

Yesterday was finally the day. Wet aged for 51 days. Ended up not injecting it but it turned out pretty great actually. Not perfect, but very tender and moist. The flat was a little dried out but nothing much to complain about. Everybody raved over it. I didn't get it on until a little later than I had planned, but I smoked it at 275 +/- to make up for lost time, which in retrospect was probably a good idea to not keep it in the Kettle for too long giving it a chance to dry out more. I ended up wrapping it when it's internal was at 151 and didn't add any broth or liquid. Moved past the stall without much of a hitch. Put it in the faux cambro for 2 hours. Next time I will be sure to buy at least choice grade meat, inject it with some broth, and add some liquid when I wrap to keep it as moist as possible. Overall I am very pleased with the final product and am no longer nervous to cook a brisket. Forgot to get a picture of the finished brisket before I sliced into it but I was just too excited! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_102801.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	524875 ​​​​​
    Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here