Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef back ribs

Local grocery store is featuring beef back ribs this week, for a couple bucks per lb. Anyone ever cooked them? Any good? They don’t have a lot of meat on them.

I did them once. Lack of meat wasn't worth the time for me.

Comment

I cook them regularly. You treat them like short ribs only they get done much faster since there is less meat. Love 'em....backs are in the middle, shorties on the left

Last edited by Troutman; May 14, 2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        are those Texas hot guts, or east Texas hot links? Both are GREAT! Gimme some venigar based hot sauce and some crackers STAT!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe those are hot guts, can’t remember it’s an old pic

If you can get a good amount stick them in a roasting bag with some herbs, half a cup red wine and 1-2cups decent beef stock and seasoning, seal the bag and stick them in the oven low and slow for at least 5 hrs. You'll get great pulled beef off them, and a fantastic stock / gravy once strained and cooled.

Comment

I did a few weeks ago. These are the bones that are literally stripped away from a rib-eye roast. They run the knife along the bone. Think shiners. Think of the last time you had a bone in rib-eye steak and you gnawed on the bone after all the other good meat was gone. It's very tasty but also more than a bit fatty. I wouldn't buy them again. I would go with plate ribs the next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	499737

Name:	Ribs2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	499738

Name:	Ribs3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	499739

Comment

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          Great pics!

I make short ribs frequently, these have way less meat. Was thinking might be good to throw into a long simmered Sunday gravy.

Troutman I knew someone from TX would make these...lol

Comment

I agree with the others above. A waste of money unless you use them in making beef stock. Most I've seen give the term "shiners" a bad name, as if that's possible. Maybe buy a bone-in ribeye roast and cut the bones off, leaving ample meat on them. Elsewise, go with short ribs, I can buy whole dino bone-sized ones for about $6--$7 per pound from a butcher in the nearby "Big City". When our local Safeway sells short ribs (in small packages), they often have whole slabs in the back room. I bought them once for $4 a pound--probably 8-10 pounds total. Nice 10" long meaty bones. I smoke 'em in two-rib sections. Delish!

Comment

Back ribs are very tasty! Not a great lot of meat but if the price is right
            they can be a good deal. Totally different than short ribs but still very much worth cooking if the price is good!!! Enjoy!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea the rest of you haters can send me and HorseDoctor all the backs you don’t want

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll happily take those back ribs off people’s hands

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              every one of them! Troutman ecowper

yall must have a stingy butcher. Mine have plenty of meat to be worth it! Love back ribs. smoke for 3 hours, wrap for an hour, smoke for an hour. Brisket flavor profiles, but with less salt. steak on a stick!

Comment

I am a fan of the back ribs too. Usually find them with enough meat left on.

Comment

Re: leaving the meat on... taken to the extreme, why not do a bone-in rib roast, and call it meaty beef back ribs!

Comment

Well, I didn’t buy any...yet. If I do, will send pix and BBQ results!

Comment

Beef ribs are one of my favorites. I smoked some short ribs a couple of weeks ago.

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	500049

Comment

Beef back ribs are one of my favs.. There is a pic of one of my back ribs cooks in the April 2018 Newsletter. I found a market here that leaves a good inch to 2 inches of meat on them and they are out of this world good. Simply hang in the PBC until probe tender...

Comment

Beef ribs done right are "food of the gods".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here