Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mothers Day Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mothers Day Brisket

Smoking a 11.5 pounder for tomorrow. Planning on starting tonight around 6. I'm dry brining it now and will use Black Ops tonight before putting it on.
    It's supposed to rain and be around 45 tonight so I'll set up my GB Packer Tailgate canopy to keep everything dry. I think I'll start with KBB for around 4-6 hours then load with Weber for the over Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	498325 night. I trimmed off most of the fat since it was thick, plus I want bark.

Black Ops! That is my favorite brisket rub. I love that stuff. That is going to be one fine mothers day celebration!

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Where can one find Black Ops?

• ljk925
      ljk925 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oakridge BBQ. May I also suggest the Santa Maria Grill Seasoning. I used it on some tri tip this weekend and the entire family went nuts for it.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You can get Black Ops on Amazon. I agree, just did a 12# for Mother's Day with that seasoning and it turned out great. Had to add some more pepper, just love a peppery bark.

Nice lookin' brisket.

Comment

You didn't say what you were cooking on. I've been doing 12 lb brisket in 10 hours on the PBC. Haven't done one on the Weber in a long while. Good luck!

Comment

• CRO
        CRO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks
        22" Weber with SnS. I don't mind the overnight cooks if I can get an 8 to 10 hour burn, I keep the temp low. Plus I need it to be done by noon.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like fun. Will need to see some sunrise pictures with the Weber smoking away!

Around 13 hours in. I like the Weber charcoal. I reloaded around 10 last night it lasted until 6 this morning, and that's with rain and mid 40's temp.
      I'm going to wrap in butcher paper soon, IT is at 166. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	498869Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	498870

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Something tells me it got flipped at some point. Man that is some sweetness right there.

It's looking good...

Comment

Nice looking brisket. That will be a great Mother’s Day dinner.

Comment

Worst brisket ever. Very dry. 11.5 pound going in, 3.5 pounds at the end. I did trim off all the fat.
          Kind of bummed out.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyone has differing methods to achieve end results. To be honest I get my best results with a foil pan and foil wrap with a little broth in the pan. You risk softening the bark but you get a nice braise that really helps moisten the meat. Just one way, may want to try it.

• CRO
            CRO commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman Do you put the brisket in a foil pan with broth and then foil the pan or do you foil the brisket and then put in the pan?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            CRO I put the meat in a foil pan with about 1/4 cup of beef stock then cover the foil pan tightly with a piece of foil and let it braise. You then have the option of removing the covering foil if you want to re-set the bark at the end. You get a nice pan full of jus to put back over your meat as a bonus.

That sucks man. I had that exact experience with the second brisket i cooked, was so disappointing. Even the wagyu one i just cooked i feel like i may have overcooked. I was going by temp and was waiting for closer to 200 before probe checking it. Then fzxdoc posted in my thread that all the prime briskets they had done were probe tender at 190-195. I went and checked at 191 and it was def done. Feel like i could have maybe even pulled it a little earlier and had a tad more moisture. Ive done 3 briskets total and every single one was completely different, lol.

Comment

I am finding that if I run my smoker at around 270 instead of the normal 225 I get done in half the time and I get a much jucier end product.

Comment

The biggest risk with a high quality brisket (Upper Choice, Prime, Wagyu) is OVERCOOKING and drying out.

The biggest risk with a lower quality brisket (Select, lower-mid Choice) is UNDERCOOKING and ending up with a tough product.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have a temp you shoot for on upper grades? I.e. do you start probing when it hits 190? Also, do you inject?
                Thanks in advance!

• CRO
                CRO commented
                Editing a comment
                It was a prime.
                Next time I'll leave some fat on and cook it at a higher temp....260ish.

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Sweaty Paul I don't go by temp on the upper Choice and Prime. I don't inject. 2-3 day dry brine. Never was big on adding canned beef flavor to beef. But I had to try.

Jerod Broussard is spot on. That being said I just did a Primer 1, 12# brisket for Mother's Day (that's HEB brand) at 250* (rock solid temp control by Fireboard and fan) and it took me 10 hours. I brought it up to almost 210* until it became probe tender. I also inject with bone broth and phosphate so the meat is tender and super juicy.

I just think briskets are like kids, they are all different and react is crazy ways some time. Keep trying, follow the methodology that is talked about here and I'm sure you will eventually succeed.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                i make such a kitchen mess injecting. everytime, stuff spraying an leaking everywhere.

Thanks everyone for all the tips!!
              Brisket is the one protein that I don't get consistent results with. I get all of my briskets at Costco which is prime. But I've noticed that the flat muscle's seemed to be always pretty thin ( I get whole packers).
              From now on; eyeing thicker flat muscles, wrap around 155 and cook at higher temps...270ish and finishing mid 190's.

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
                i make such a kitchen mess injecting. everytime, stuff spraying an leaking everywhere.
                grantgallagher , when I inject brisket or chuck roast, I place the meat in a 2 gallon Ziploc bag and inject through the opening of the bag. That opening is pretty big, which provides good access. I always inject with the grain from the side of the cut of meat .

The big Ziploc bag is great for containing errant squirts and injecting from the side of the meat (as opposed to top down) gives you nice long drags of liquid inside the meat.

Here is a crappy schematic (I'm a scientist not an artist) of injecting a hunk of meat from the side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Diagram for injecting meat.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.8 KB ID:	500147
                Kathryn

Comment

• CRO
                  CRO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc, do you see that injecting greatly improves moisture and tenderness?
                  What solution do you use?

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CRO , I like to inject with a mixture of homemade beef broth and phosphate from Butcher's BBQ: https://www.butcherbbq.com/online-st...hate-p64808122

It's hard to say if it greatly improves moisture and tenderness, since I have no comparison. I always inject. I've never had a dry brisket (yet!). I figure injecting is sort of a brisket/chuckie insurance policy.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; May 16, 2018, 06:05 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here