Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe what I am reading here! Put those suckers in the smoke at 225F - 250F and bring slowly to an internal temp of about 115F - 120F. This will take about 30 - 45 min if you keep the cook temp low. While doing that, get a cast iron skillet or griddle screaming hot directly over the coals. When you hit the target temp transfer to the CI and sear to an internal temp of no more than 130F (I like 125F). Remove and rest for 10min while carry-over takes them to a perfect 135F.

Comment

I agree with boftx here. With beef of that quality keep it simple. The less you mess with it the better. Low and slow and keep a close eye on the internal temp. 118 has always been the sweet spot for me. Take them off the smoker and quickly sear in a hot ci skillet or griddle. I build the fire up in my fire box with oak sticks and lay a grill over the opening and sear them over the open fire. I woudn't worry too much about flare ups. Flare ups add a little char and crust which is the point of searing anyhow.

I'd do just salt and pepper. Maybe add a pad of butter right off the sear and on your plate but that's about as involved as I'd get with those.

Comment

They are cut pretty thick so I will definitely try the low and slow in the smoker and then CI sear, as well as some of the other CI suggestions. I'll see if I can sync up with EdF as he is 5 min from me and can report back with some findings and maybe a photo or two. Trick is going to be when as son's 1st Communion ceremony is this weekend and the party the following weekend as we could not get a place for the party the same weekend UGH!! Suggestions have been all good, I appreciate them all.

Comment

How did i not notice when you originally posted this that you are less than an hour east of me! Those are some really really nice looking steaks.

Cant wait to see pics and flavor report.

Comment

Gorgeous steaks there bro. I concur with botfx and Frozen Smoke that those babies are screaming for a killer reverse sear. 215 to 225 til internal temp reaches 115 or so pat them dry and sear them babies to 125 to 130 rest for 10 and enjoy.

Comment

Try it both ways! True Wagyu is about 70% fat. Personally I wouldn't reverse sear it and let all that butter melt away into nothing. And it melts mind blowing fast. Most Japanese steak houses will start a steak such as this in a scorching flat top, then start slicing it into thin strips and cook the strips to order. Wagyu is so rich, one of these steaks would probably feed 4 people. This is from a guy who reverse sears everything including a ham sandwich.

Comment

Lonnie Mac even if they are 1.5 to 2 inches thick. I'm like you bro I even reverse sear Bratwurst. I'm no expert and haven't cooked much wagyu but this board has got me ready to go for it.
                Last edited by OSB; May 12, 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

WOW! Those are gorgeous. Let us know if anyone is able to eat a whole one. While I have no experience cooking whole chunks of Wagyu, I do know the recommendation in general is to slice into thin strips--maybe 1/2--3/4 inch thick and sear quickly on all four sides. I believe Wagyu fat melts at room temp, so I'd be skeptical of a long slow cook prior to searing. Luckily--DAMNED luckily--you have enough to try several different techniques (before deciding they all suck and just sending me the remaining steaks...LOL). Cook one at a time and freeze the rest. Buy your generous gifter a VERY NICE present and NEVER lose him as a friend!!!

Comment

All my friends give me is a hard time

Comment

• lonnie mac
                      lonnie mac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You and me both brother!

Those steaks are beautiful dude! I'm definitely with the low and slow crowd, but I guess I am a little lower and slower than most. What I like best is starting out with my steaks down around 30F (or colder) when I season them and put them in the smoker which is around 165 - 175F. I would use oak for this because it's milder, but I'm using white smoke, not blue, so milder is good. I let them come up to about 110 - 135F (depending on how done you like your steak at the table), then sear them immediately on a half-full charcoal chimney, flipping them every 30-45 seconds to prevent flair-ups and sooty smoke as much as possible. I plate them when they are 5F below my target temp and rest them as long as it takes to get to the table. Also, I don't put pepper on them until they're done cooking because it burns when seared and I think it tastes better freshly cracked anyway. There are a million great ways to do it, all the previous methods will turn out a delicious steak, that's just how I like to do it... By the way... are there any house for sale in your neighborhood?

Comment

• gmascolo51
                      gmascolo51 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahaha, I already planted the seed about acquiring a brisket as this guy just keeps bringing stuff, so figured why not shoot for the stars!

Ok so it took until Memorial Day weekend to do this but I finally cooked up one of these wagyu steaks. Indirect heat first and then cast iron skillet in the wood fired oven.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      gmascolo51 you forgot to tell us how damn good it was and whether you would try anything different next time!

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The verdict looks good, but we want the details!

I can’t imagine how it can get better than cooking indirect with SnS and then sear. Geez, good looking steaks. No reason to complicate it.

Comment

Steak was amazing super tender and full of flavor. Several of the guys suggested the indirect and then hot CI pan and I think that is the way to go so you don't get flare ups. Had the oven up to 700 degrees and that seemed to do the trick. Can get it hotter but things happen very quickly at 900 and I feel things come out better a tad bit lower temp wise in that oven. So I don't think I would change a thing, here's one more:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Beautiful!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here