Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To seperate or not to seperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To seperate or not to seperate

So for Mother's day, my wife requested burnt ends. She even went so far as to buy a brisket point for me to smoke. Problem is, I'm not sure she knew exactly want she got from the grocery store (not the butcher where I usually get my briskets). As the picture below shows, all the guy at the store did was cut a chuck off of a full packer. The piece is right around 4 pounds. My question is should I try to separate what I see as the two muscles right along the fat line? My thought is what I see as the flat portion is so thin that if I remove it I won't be able to cook it. But, since the final product is to be burnt ends, not removing that big ol' chuck o'fat will mean lots and lots of trimming on my part.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks, B

Click image for larger version

Name:	14516.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	497365

If your goal is burnt ends, just cut away that thin piece of flat and the thick vein of fat, and keep on truckin'.

Comment

• BCampbell
      BCampbell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

What Steve R. said. Cut off the flat, grind it into burgers, and create some awesome burnt ends with the point.

Comment

Cut it off and throw it in the Magic water bath. Or make some sliders

Comment

Grind up the whole thing to make burgers, then go to your butcher and get the cut and grade you want. Don’t tell your wife I told you to do that because I will deny it.

Comment

• Baltassar
          Baltassar commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here