Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Yakitori technique: Beef Yakitori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Yakitori technique: Beef Yakitori

I think Yakitori really just means chicken, but I had a nice flank steak, and some mushrooms. Next time I want to use flat bamboo skewers rather than round skewers. I also might create an "X" for more grilling space next time.
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_185009.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	495888

Comment

Are those just wrapped fire bricks? Looks great!

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

Yeah just bricks wrapped in heavy duty foil. I cook the skewers part way, and dip it in the Yakitori sauce, and then cook it fully and give it a second dip before serving.

Comment

Neat set up. Gotta love the room in the 26-er.

Comment

Great idea, great execution, great photos!

Comment

Looks fantastic! I just got a Weber 26; that may have to be my inaugural cook on it. I remember eating Yakitori on the streets of Japan in 1983 and ‘84. Great food, and goes well with Kirin or Asahi beer!

P.S. Out of curiosity, I looked up Yakitori. You are correct; the name refers to grilled chicken. The broader term "Yakiniku" refers to grilled meat in general. Great job, no matter what you call it!
                Last edited by Thunder77; May 7, 2018, 10:23 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Awesome! Great Idea. I may have found my dinner ideas for tonight. Thanks for sharing!

This makes me think.......perhaps the Lodge SMG would be perfect for this. radshop What do you think?

Comment

• radshop
                    radshop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah baby! I have 2 whole chickens I bought yesterday and haven't parted out yet. That's gotta be my next step, and also get that sauce going. This rocks!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gonna give it a run. Probably tomorrow night. Thunder77 Troutman radshop HouseHomey

• mnavarre
                    mnavarre commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Doing Yakiniku is a big part of why I want the Lodge. Sadly, I think the interests of Domestic Tranquility are better served by buying the parts to rebuild the gasser. The brick thing is a bomb idea though. Gonna use that for sure.

Attjack Rocking da Pit with that set up. Nice!!! 👏👏👏👏

Comment

Do you have a recipe for that Yakitori sauce?

Comment

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah I used the recipe from Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue.

Tare recipe:

1 c. chicken stock
                      1 c. soy sauce
                      .5 c. mirin
                      .75 c. sugar
                      1 scallion, trimmed, white part gently crushed with cleaver
                      1 clove garlic
                      1 slice peeled fresh ginger (.25" thick) gently crushed with cleaver
                      1 strip lemon zest (.5 x 2")

Boil over medium then simmer until thickened, 6-10 minutes, stir often, strain.
                      Last edited by Attjack; May 7, 2018, 10:29 AM.

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome! Thanks!

That looks awesome Attjack been thinking about a 26” kettle. Just another reason why I need. Great job. 👍👍👍

Comment

Very clever adaptation. Lots of street people in Asia cook this way all the time, some amazing food can be found by local vendors doing things not much different from what you've done. Nice work !!

Comment

That looks delicious Attjack! Are you willing to share your sauce recipe?

Comment

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah I posted it above in response to Spinaker. I'm actually making another batch now.

• theroc
                          theroc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, Attjack!

Folks interested in yakitori might be interested in a new book that was published just a few weeks ago titled "Robata: Japanese Home Grilling". It's a lovely book on the subject and also has a few pages of yakitori (chicken) recipes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here