Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Question for Ground Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Question for Ground Beef

In the hamburger webinar at The Pit they advised against dry-brining ground beef that is destined to be used for burgers. Apparently the meat does stay juicier but it also condenses making the burger texturally unpleasing. I just got a meat grinder for my birthday and am planning on grinding up a chuck roast that is currently thawing. This roast was dry-brined. Will this have the same effect on the meat that dry-brining has for beef that has already been ground up before brining?

Clint makes a Reuben burger from cured meat that has had plenty salt so I'm thinking it will be fine.

Comment

dunno, try it and then let us know!

Comment

I have no idea what you just said. (Phew! That's usually me) but it should be fine. Do a side by side perhaps. I think their point is for maximum greatness don't constrict the protein.

I have dry brined unintentionally for a week and then ground it and made meatballs and a meatloaf. They were really good but a tad bit different.

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Had to mention meatballs didn’t you.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          dry brining burgers AFTER being ground or while grinding, usually results in rubbery burgers for me.

I'm a big fan of Americas Test Kitchen, in all their recent ground meat recipes, they are adding baking soda. This apparently changes the PH, allowing the meat to retain more moisture and also brown better.

Comment

• OSB
          OSB commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you tried this yet? How much baking soda per pound?

Were I to guess, (I am) ...

I'd haveta reckon that yer dry brinin th surface would only affect a very small fraction of yer total chuckie's volume, an be nominally noticeable/detectable, if at all, once ground fer burgers...

I'm interested in hearin yer findins...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 28, 2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto👆

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          And how he said it...

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll beat the heck out of being hungry! Gofer it!

Comment

You want to dry brine to denature proteins and protect against overcooking at the surface. If the salt gets mixed in the inside the proteins denature and link and you get a springy sausage texture (sausage recipes have you mix in the salt). Not bad but maybe not what you wanted.

For burgers, salting the surface _after_ grinding and forming will keep the burger texture. (However sometimes sausages make good burgers so depends what you are after).

I make homemade bratwurst into patties instead of stuffing casings. Makes a good "burger" with kraut ad mustard.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; April 29, 2018, 05:43 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            that bratburger sounds great with kraut, carmelized onions, and a mustard heavy thousand island dressing, maybe some swiss too on sourdough....

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I should say that if you dry brined, later ground and immediately cooked the ground beef it may not get springy since the salt didn’t have time to work on the internal structure.

If you dry brine, grind, mix and wait you will get a sausage texture.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here