Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenji’s Fat Flash Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenji’s Fat Flash Process

My wife likes to watch Master Chef (especially the kids version) and some stuff like that. She asked me tonight about resting meat and why Gordon always yells at kids about it lol.

i explained the thought process behind it and then made her read Meathead’s article about it but also remembered reading an article by Kenji about a Fat Flash process he uses that arguably makes the best of both worlds.

Curious if any of you have tried this and/or what your thoughts are.

My apologies if anyone has posted about this before. I did a quick search but didn’t see it but please reference the OP if I did.

Interesting. I never cried over spilled milk nor myowater and I soooo hate having to recook what I JUST cooked. I liken it to searing a brisket cause I wrapped at the stall.

​​​

Comment

I use the fat flash to finish briskets that I wrap. Adds a nice touch of extra crispy bark at the end (after a decent cambro hold).

Not much extra work if you put a small amount of brisket fat in a small cast iron pan in the smoker. Then it’s rendered and you just have to heat it up a little more to do the flash.

Watch out for splatters and make sure the meat is somewhere it can drain safely.

Comment

I'm firmly in the cook and eat camp - not the cook and rest camp, but this is interesting.

Comment

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

I do this when I make porchetta and steaks. I throw the steak on a wire rack, over a baking sheet. I heat some fat in a cast iron pot, then I spoon it over the steak. It sizzles and crisps up the surface. I love it.

I originally got the idea from Matty Matheson's Porchetta Recipe.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s the pint size lodge kettle. Available on amazon. You can even get a lid for it.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I should have known by the hat AND the tattoos that Mr. Matty was going to be RAW!!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Matty is the man. He takes a approach that everyone doesn't have to have a pristine, gorgeous kitchen with all the bells and whistles to make great food. I follow his channel on You Tube pretty close, he's also on Viceland. Jerod Broussard

I want a hot steak, not a rested and sorta still mostly hot steak. Interesting info for sure though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here