Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of beef ribs did I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of beef ribs did I get?

Take a look at these pics. I think I need to have a longer discussion with my butcher. I knew right away when he brought these out that they weren't what I had in mind, but I decided to try them anyway. They came frozen and shrink wrapped, two slabs to a pack. Two packs came in just under 10 lbs at $3.99/lb. They called them "Texas Style" ribs. Given that they have meat between the bones, no meat on top, and aren't very long, I suspect they are back ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180422_072920.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	487524

Name:	IMG_20180422_072929.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	487525

I vote back ribs. I'm no beef ribs expert, but the back ribs I've made a few times looked like that. They cook up might mighty fine though, they're a treat!

Comment

Agree with Huskee ! Back ribs! Enjoy!

Comment

What you need to do is go to the link below and figure out what NAMP cut you want. Then take that to your butcher. If he is not familiar with NAMP, his supplier will be.

On the right side of the page, (in green lettering), are links to various cuts. Those links explain the differences of the various cuts in each category. Check out "short ribs". You might even print it out just in case your butcher is not quite up to speed on what you want.

The NAMP Meat Buyer's Guide and IMPS version use identical specs, but the IMPS meat buyer's guide is free. Download or purchase a buyer's guide PDF.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Good stuff, thanks.

Not as all inclusive as the above link but covers most BBQ cuts: https://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/barbecue-cut-identification/

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Gig ‘em

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Have some very close friends and relatives that are "Aggies"... They are a special breed of cat though...

All I know from the package is that it is choice, and angus beef.

Comment

Pretty sure they are beef back ribs.

Comment

Back ribs....period

Comment

With that in mind... here are the results. One rubbed with BBBR, the other rubbed with Clint Cantwell 's CCC rub. I'm going to say right off the bat that after I mixed up the CCC rub and tasted it I thought there was no way this would be good. Folks, I was dead wrong. I will be using the CCC rub again. I would put these ribs in the Top 5 of the best things I have done on the smoker. They were THAT GOOD.

Name:	IMG_20180422_112615.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	487925

Name:	IMG_20180422_182426.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	487926

Comment

Yes! Look very good!

Comment

what is the CCC rub? is the recipe on the site? would it be something good to try on a brisket?

Comment

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's on the site.

Oh man.., wow!! Those look fantastic!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here