Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It’s Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thing of beauty! It will be fantastic.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy I just hope I don't screw it up.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I believe you'll do a great job. Enjoy!

This made my day! Thanks and enjoy!!!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

The third CC shipment of Wagyu to me finally came through still frozen (I made a special trip to FedEx to pick it up in the early AM so it didn't sit another six hours in a delivery truck). It is gor-gee-o-so! Eating it tomorrow and will report.

Best wishes to you, DW. I'm thinking we'll both have an excellent piece of beef! I never thought I'd spend $100 on a 10 ounce piece of beef, but I am thrilled that I can afford (ONCE!) to do so. By dumb luck, our son is coming to visit tomorrow, so he'll get to try it, too.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad you finally got it Willy and I never thought that I would ever paid that much for a steak either. I'm looking forward on hearing how you cook yours.

When I cooked my A-5, I did it in a searing hot, cast iron pan. I didn't add any oil because the steak has plenty of it. I sliced to about a 1/4 inch and pan fried it quickly. Then added some special salt once I served it. It was spectacular!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      What is this special salt you speak of?

I got it from Crowd Cow when I got my A-5. Sel gris de Guerande salt. (Grey Sea Salt) It comes out of France.(the can I have does anyway.) DWCowles
    It has a very unique texture. I use it on all my steaks.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	salt-sel-gris-de-guerande.jpg.png Views:	1 Size:	308.6 KB ID:	486295​

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      How much do you put on? I have a Himalayan Pink salt grinder from Costco I use all the time, do you use same amount? Would you say there's a big difference? I've seen it at my local grocery store just curious if I should pick some up.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The granules are different. I feel like it pairs perfectly with the buttery A-5. I would say there is a pretty big difference, but I am no connoisseur of fine salts, and it might all be in my head. I just use a fine pinch and add it to the steak after cooking. JakeT

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't hurt, I'll give it a shot!

WOW Looks great...enjoy

Comment

I got an A5 a couple weeks back. I tried a few different techniques and found cast iron to be best.

First I tried on a stainless pan, no oil, just salt and pepper. Sear until you can see color change on the side of a 1/4" piece then flip and sear until you "feel" like its about ready, maybe another minute max. Pretty tasty.

Second I got my charcoal chimney warp 10 and used a vegetable grate, small pieces, and just seared it. When the coals are in the sweet spot it worked great, but as soon as they get slightly too much oxygen and started having a flame, the flare ups were crazy. Actually put a little bit of carbon on the piece. Again, very tasty.

I had been cooking other stuff on my PitBoss K22 so I tried cooking a couple pieces on that, but had my BBQ Dragon blowing from the top to keep flames away. Again, very tasty, but flare ups are next to impossible to really control with the amount of fat dripping off.

I did a 3x3x1/4" piece reverse sear, to IT 110* then seared over the chimney. The flavor was very good, but I think the smoke flavor was almost distracting from the insanely awesome beef flavor of the A5 Wagyu.

By far, I think the best way is on cast iron screaming hot. I liked pieces about 1/3" thick and cut into 1/3" wide strips, seared quickly on all sides with salt and pepper. It lets the flavor stand on its own.

Two things to note, these steaks are incredibly rich so a little goes a long way. Lastly, no matter how you cook it, it is almost impossible to screw it up. Even if it comes out way over done, it's going to taste awesome. I carved a striploin roast into individual steaks for vacuum packing recently, towards the end it was getting slippery from the fat melting at room temp. One of the last cuts I had to regrip and start the slice again, so unfortunately I made a bad cut and ended up with a super thin sliver of the meat. I couldn't bring myself to just throwing it away so I got the cast iron screamin' hot and seared it. Almost turned into a wagyu chip, but it was still so good and flavorful.

Obviously I can't say enough for this beef. Enjoy and don't psyche yourself out!!!

Comment

I have an A5 in the freezer too, waiting for the right evening to enjoy it. What I want to do with mine- in part because my kids would have a fun time and in part because I would too- is get one of these stones with the bamboo tray and cook it right on the table. My wife thinks it's a waste since we'd rarely ever use it. I disagree. So far she's won because I haven't bought one ...yet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180420-092300.png
Views:	84
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	486400

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker you do this with regular steak, or other meats? DWCowles cool! You can teach me how to use mine when I get it!

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL...I was hoping you can teach me.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        We would do it with Prime ribeye. FUN! Huskee

Wow. That looks great. If you have a salt block, that might be an interesting choice. Don’t slice too thin and I bet you can get med rare with a hint of salt taste.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't made my mind up if I want to cut it up in strips or cook it whole.

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Think I'd leave it whole and slice it after less chance of over cooking.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the way I'm leaning right now.

That is a thing of beauty DWCowles! Be looking forward to seeing it all plated up. I just got my black grade wagyu brisket from SRF today. Can't wait to get after it!

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        SRF wagyu briskets are pretty dang good. I will be watching for the pics of your cook.

Beautiful steak !!

Comment

Well DWCowles , did ya cook it?!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here