Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to reverse sear a Picanha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to reverse sear a Picanha?

Hi all,

I have abut a 2.5# Picanha steak and I've never made it before. I am looking to low n slow it at 275 until about 110-120(I'm hoping for a medium rare finish) and then sear it over high heat. I know the time depends on many factors but I am just trying to get an idea of whether it will take 1 hour of 3 hours to get the low and slow part done. Thanks.

PS-my plan is to just liberally dry brine with salt and serve with a chimichurra sauce. Any recommendations on cook is welcome
    Last edited by Sfdrew28; April 19, 2018, 11:31 AM.

Think of it as a fat steak, it cooks just about the same. I do mine about how you are doing your's (although I up the temp to 325ish). No way does it even take an hour, probably 30-40 minutes then a quick sear of 2 minutes or so per side. But again the meat and the conditions will dictate, just concentrate on the temp. Be sure to score your fat cap or it will curl on you, and sear it well, oh what flavor.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great...I get home from an appt at about 4pm so this will work. I'm okay with the slightly higher temp as it worked well for you. Scoring fat cap and dry brining now.

I agree with Troutman. I'd venture a guess of possibly 45 to an hour if it's out of a cold fridge. I like to let beef warm up a pinch first, not quite room temp but maybe an hour on the counter first, saves a pinch of cook time and fuel, and in side by sides seemed a touch more tender but that could be circumstantial.

Comment

She’s a beaut. I’m very excited.
      Attached Files

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yea... lookin GOOD!!!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright already, I ordered one from the butcher today!!

For comparison, here's one Henrik did just a few days ago: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ain-and-simple

Comment

Yep, that's one of my favorite cuts, I've done more than a few now. As for low 'n slow timing: 50-60 minutes tops (running 225-240° F grill temp). And that's straight out the fridge. I've never scored the fat cap, and it has never curled on me. I just cook it as is. As for searing, I'm real wary of not searing the fat cap too much. The reason is that all that fat burns easily, leaving a bitter burnt fat taste that kind of brings down the overall flavor on this great cut. So I sear the bottom, then a quick sear on the fat cap (for looks), and then I'm done. But don't forget to rest the meat. I rest mine for 25-30 minutes and it really make this cut shine.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Henrik

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I like a slight char on my fat cap. In addition to curling, scoring also allows my seasoning to penetrate into the fat a bit more. But hey, each to his own.

Here is Henrik picanha at a low and slow cook.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henrik Picanha.jpg
Views:	2695
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	486038

...versus what I do with fast and hot, steak-like....

Click image for larger version

Name:	picanha 06.jpg
Views:	2722
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	486039

...choose your desired result !!!!

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll take a slice of each please!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes please.

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          wow...i'm drooling at both!

Prof Blonder and I have spent MANY hours researching the topic of resting and I have written about it at length here
        Stop worrying about resting meat after it is cooked. Serve it hot. We bust this myth with a review of the scientific research, some tests of our own, some basic meat science, explanations of carryover cooking and what makes meat juicy, a look at doneness temperatures, and how carving comes into play.

Virtually ALL cooks endorse resting, as does Henrik above. But in all my research, we can find no science to support the concepts that the juices move during cooking, or that resting improves flavor or juiciness. It is a very complicated subject and the article is definitely thought provoking.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd call that an in-depth article!

Since the Jedi Master has weighed in on this, I wonder if its possible that the resting is just letting carry over heat cook the meat a little more while it rests in cambro. Kind of like the way a brisket does?

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          This is covered in my article. Brisket and steaks are VERY different.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thanks Meathead. I read the article a while back - time to go re-read it again sounds like!

Thanks for the assist guys. It came out great.
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here