Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Briskets on The WSM 22.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Briskets on The WSM 22.5?

Well my first brisket was a success. So at my Army reserve unit they were asking for help with Family day. So I opened my big yap and volunteered to cook 2 briskets. Of course I started thinking after I started talking (typical in my case). Has anyone cooked 2 briskets at the same time on a WSM? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Was it longer, no different? I am assuming I cook one on the top grate and one on the bottom. I am talking full packers.

Here is my plan: Trim them myself, Inject, salt-pepper(garlic and onion powder maybe). Put one on top and one just above the water pan. Rotate them after 3 hours. After about 6ish hours or around 160 degrees IT crutch in foil. Rotate again after a couple of hours. Wait until 202ish IT or probes like butter. Hopefully get a few hours in a warm cooler. Slice and pray.

Any advice, critique or suggestions would be appreciated.

There's countless ways to a Great Result, here, an many others will chime in.
    I'd be rotatin them summat more frequently, were it me doin this...
    Jus my ¢2 worth. Refunds available, contact Cusstomer (sic) Service!
    Feelin th rest jus fine...
    Good luck, we're here, never fear, holler if/when wanted/needed!
    Pics, of course!

Comment

You can do it as you described. Once the meat is wrapped, bring them inside and finish them in the oven. Then you don't have to worry about rotating once they are wrapped.

I would allow the meat to go longer than 160 F. I like to take mine up to at least 175 F to 180 F, before I wrap. Then I make sure I have enough bark before wrapping. Wrapping will soften bark, so I want to make sure I have a good layer of bark before I wrap. This will expend your cook, but the flavor and texture are worth it, IMHO.

The WSM can easily handle this cook. Personally, I would cook it with out the water, in the pan. With two big briskets, you are going to have plenty of moisture in the cooking chamber. Actually a buddy of mine cooks almost exclusively without his water pan. It cooks much more similar to the PBC when you remove the water pan.

Finally, try to start with the highest grade meat you can find. That will help a lot too.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Spin is right, my water pans have become useful vessels to haul pellets from my storage bins to my pellet pooper hopper.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

Brisket dries quickly once sliced, so delay slicing as long as possible. I'd only slice one brisket and then slice the other when the first is gone.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          right on

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oxidation baby !!

Two briskets are no problem! Done this many, many times. Unlike some others, I prefer water in the pan. Adds humidity, keeps your temps in line and allows you to have those vents more open and keep the temps in the 240-260 range. More open vents means a cleaner burning fire, and I find that give me a prettier smoke ring, and a cleaner smoke flavor as a result. I absolutely LOVE running a Fuse style charcoal setup, not putting quite a "to the top" fuel load, and leaving those bottom vents about 25% open, and the top vent at 75%. That gets about a 240-260 fire, and a nice clean burn, with better color smoke and better smoke rings. You will need to add some charcoal about 2/3 of the way in the cook. No sweat!

I'm super happy to not rotate them at all. If one of them is smaller, put that one on the bottom. If they are the same, then the top one will be done first. When you pull it, put the bottom one on top. If you want to try switching them, top to bottom, when you wrap, that would help them finish at similar times.

While Spinaker and I have different preferences on the water pan, we share the opinion that an early wrap on a brisket is bad juju. Let 'er ride until about 180, when that bark is nice and dark and set.

Did we mention that the price for these ideas is...PICTURES of your cook!

Have fun!
        paul

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great advise! Thanks Paul. Hope all is well!

WSM can easily handle 2 briskets! I've done it on my 18, so there's lots more room on the 22. I usually use the water pan dry with a layer of foil wrapped around it for easy clean up, but what PaulstheRibList says is spot on too. IF you want to slice before your event, it can be done. Defat and save your juices from the foil wrap and augment with some beef broth (l like Swanson's in the can 50% less salt variety). Slice your brisket, make your burnt ends, pour that juice right over that meat, seal up tightly and your ready to go to reheat. Smoke ring will fade a bit, but your brisket will stay juicy.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          excellent details on the pre-slice plan!

I agree with CandySue's reply. If you don't like using the water pan because it's a pain, I recently bought the Hunsaker Vortex plate for my WSM which acts as a heat shield on top of the charcoal ring. I've only used it for 2 cooks (baby backs, prime rib) so far, but it really works great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here