Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami advice. IS IT SAFE. Rubbed meat has been in the fridge for 8 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami advice. IS IT SAFE. Rubbed meat has been in the fridge for 8 days

Hey folks, I did the whole shebang of corning, desalinating and applying the rub and refrigerating. Problem is, life got in the way so my meat has been sitting in the fridge for 8 days now. Does anybody feel that the corning has preserved it enough that it would still be safe to finish the process?

The nitrites, if you used the proper amount, should do the trick in the process. As long as it stayed in the safe zone for that amount of time I think you're ok.
    Last edited by Troutman; April 18, 2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman. I used Meathead's recipe with the Pink Curing Salt #2 so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Pastrami is my holy grail since I grew up 3 blocks from the Carnegie Deli in NYC and as a New Yorker, the joys of endlessly debating where the best Pastrami came from is ingrained in my soul.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the stuff. I always cut the thin flats off my briskets and make pastrami, if you haven’t tried sous-vide cue pastrami yet, it’s even more amazing.

Do you mean you used the PP#1 or did you actually use #2?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh good catch, hope he did use #1

• Yojumbo
      Yojumbo commented
      Editing a comment
      I used Pink Curing Salt "Sel Rose" which is Salt and Sodium Nitrite (6.25%), coloring and Sodium Carbonate for buffering. As far as I remember, that is the same as Pink Prague #1. But what I remember these days is...

When I made pastrami, it was in the brine in the fridge for around 19 days. The "expert" I spoke with on facebook says that he's has most success with a 3 week brine. It was absolutely delicious

Comment

• jstjohn83
      jstjohn83 commented
      Editing a comment
      and I used meathead's "close to katz" recipe

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr Blodner's special cure calculator is the best standard to use- it uses both necessary and safe times w/o wasting time unnecessarily (and I'm not saying you wasted time, just that this calculator will help you get the best of both worlds!) https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ely#calculator

• jstjohn83
      jstjohn83 commented
      Editing a comment
      yes I actually had a 5.5lb brisket to start so I used the calculator for the curing salt

Lots of folks dry age steaks/roasts in their fridge for weeks at a time - you'll be fine.

Comment

Nitrites are good at killing botulism, but other bugs can get through. That said, the salt and cold and then the cooking and smoking are is a pretty good at preventing other bacteria. The real issue is going to be oxidation. It might be a little off from that. But you should be safe.

Comment

Hey Sherman Oaks. I'd give it a whirl. I bet it's delicious. It has been about 35° the whole time right? In your fridge ready to smoke right? Go for it.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, I would! Enjoy!

Cook to a safe temp and it will be fine. A SUPER long dry aged steak can get pretty funky, smells like earth, nuts (the king that grow on trees) and cheese, but it is delish. at the temps you take pastrami to you should be fine, disease wise. Taste; well that is subjective. You may start a new trend!!!

Comment

Yep! What they said

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here