Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some short rib adventure - in the kitchen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some short rib adventure - in the kitchen!

Well, I got some short ribs last week with the intention of smoking them, but I got sick and ended up in bed for a day and a half, didn't have time to smoke them. So I decided I needed to do something with them. Wife said just freeze them and do them later, but I was feeling better and wanted to cook. So I did! lol

I salted them up the night before. Here they are when I took them out of the fridge, left them salted and exposed on a rack, as I was going to be looking for some bark, but I went another direction, since I was short on time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180411_161710-XL.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	484657

So I browned them off in the cast iron:

Name:	20180411_162035-XL.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	484658

Here's the whole bunch - about 7 lbs worth or so, I think it was.

Name:	20180411_164639-XL.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	484659

You may already see where I'm going with this... tossed in the pot with a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, parsley, a cross-halved head of garlic, probably some various other stuff. A whole bottle of red wine (just an inexpensive cabernet sauvignon) and some beef broth. Little salt & pepper.

Name:	20180411_172850-XL.jpg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	484660

So to call them falling off the bone would have been an understatement. I think they went for about 4 hours or more in the oven.

Did a few other things to go with them:

Some smashed baby potatoes - boiled for 20 mins in salt water with a cup or so of cider vinegar, then slightly smashed, brushed with butter and broiled in the oven, flipped, brushed and broiled again - made 'em a little crispy.

Name:	20180411_204046-L.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	484661

You can see, there weren't many veggies left from the braised short ribs - the carrots survived, barely, but after 4 hours the onion and such had essentially disappeared. lol

The finished ribs:

Name:	20180411_204045-XL.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	484662

And a pic of the whole thing. The asparagus was put in a gallon ziploc for a couple hours with salt & pepper, lots of chopped garlic and olive oil, then roasted in the oven till just slightly tender. Bread I did on my cast iron griddle sitting on the stovetop. Not ideal, and hard to get it how I wanted, but it was ok. Just a little melted butter and salt and garlic powder, brushed on, then grilled lightly.

Name:	20180411_204033-XL.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	484663

So that was what I did to recover from being sick. lol. The Wife told me to go back to bed, said I didn't need to do all that, told me to take it easy, etc. But I love cooking for people! It's therapeutic for me! So it helped me recover. I'd been in bed for what seemed like forever, all I woulda done otherwise is zombie out in front of the TV watching episodes of Chopped, so... heck, this was a pretty easy dinner, overall, honestly. Slow-cooking, no pressure, take your time kinda thing.

Hope ya'll enjoyed it - the family sure did!

Only thing I would do differently - for the smoker, these ribs would be perfect. But braising them like this, the fat was kinda gooey. They came out pretty dang close to pot roast for me, which wasn't my intention, but oh well. I woulda trimmed alot of the fat off before braising. Maybe even before the browning. I dunno. Just the only things I could complain about - and I always have to complain about my own cooking! No one else sure will! lol When I said I was a little disappointed it was more like pot roast, The Wife says, "Well, you better keep practicing, then, and messing up like this!" lol Everyone else seemed to agree.

So I guess it was a success.

Looks great!

Comment

Looks pretty durned edible to me! Not sure why you're surprised that it tasted like pot roast though. (Not that tasting like pot roast is a bad thing.) It's beef, browned & braised with wine and veggies. What doesn't say pot roast about that? Enjoy!

Comment

Nice! I love braised short ribs. I usually do them in a big ceramic crock pot in the oven with guiness, beef broth, onions and thyme.

That looks like one helluva tasty way to recover.

Comment

Haven’t had braised shorties in quite some time, but your’s look appealing. Really nice write up and pictorial explanation.

Comment

Congrats on your "I'm recovering" meal, DogFaced PonySoldier . It looks so delicious--lots of good comfort food, which seems to be just what the doctor self-prescribed. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here