Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook this beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook this beef

My church group wants me to smoke this 32 pound top round sirloin. Need some guidance. I’m thinking of cutting into 3 10 pound pieces and smoking low and slow at 225. I have a few questions:

1. How long will it take? I need it ready at noon and can hold it in a cooler for at least 2 hours.

2. Inject with like beef broth the night before

3. Make it like pit beef or slice like brisket?

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Files

Likely even choice will be very lean and a little tough. Medium rare pit beef approach would be my suggestion. Hard to be upset with the "church group", but I hate it when someone hands me a cheap piece of meat and wants me to smoke/cook it. It's an honor to be asked, but personally I would rather just know how many people, and buy the meat myself. (Rant over...)

Comment

This is a difficult cut for low n slow. As HorseDoctor notes, pit beef is a better approach. Top round is also a good cut for Italian beef, though pit beef may have broader appeal and is easier to manage for a large crowd.

Comment

Hard to say exactly what I'd do unless that chunk of meat was right in front of me and I were in your exact shoes, but I think I agree with the above. Cut it into manageable chunks, dry bine well in advance, and cook it to a medium rare or medium level. Prime rib or pit beef kinda thing.

Comment

I think I'd go with the pit beef approach. At least it's certified Angus ... so you're probably dealing with a pretty decent piece of meat.

Comment

I cut those all the time. That's what they call one of those "Steamship" rounds. I usually do about 6 at a time. I'm using 5 of them for stir fry tomorrow. It's been marinading since yesterday in actual strips.

we use CAB choice and there's always one well marbled section within. The fat cap comes off from the center to the end revealing another muscle on top with more fat underneath.

if you try and break this down you will lose a lot. If you cut it into smaller chunks it will make it harder to slice thin without a slicer.

Here's what I would suggest after cooking many of them.

1 Cut that top layer of fat off, turn over and some from the bottom too. This will help you see the muscles and the way the "grains" are running.

2. Slice with the grain your large pieces so when you cut for service you can lay flat (safely) and cut against the grain. (I think I said that right) I've never had to explain it before.

3. Hot n fast is no bueno for that large cut unless their thin strips. Low n slow is good.

4. The bark on these can really get to an undesireable state if you have hot spots so be sure to rotate the meat.

5. Season wisely as this has very beefy flavor so nothing that can give you bitter flavors if cooking a long time time.

6. Definitely save the dripping if you can and make a gravy.

Its very delicious on a sandwich and soft bun.

i hope this helps.
            HH

oh, BTW I think Alton Brown has an episode on this. Question, isn't pit beef direct heat???

Comment

• Dwaynereis
              Dwaynereis commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes but how long of a cook on average?

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Question, isn't pit beef direct heat???
            To HH's point: http://chapspitbeef.com/what-is-pit-beef/

Comment

MBMorgan that was awesome!!!! I love it!

Yup, it was a direct heat, they used a slicer, served it from rare and were using bottom round. I'm not sure if any of those variables apply to the cook above.

Killer video and a great story. Thank you for that!
              Last edited by HouseHomey; April 15, 2018, 10:01 AM. Reason: cleaning up my act.

Comment

That was awesome. The more of that style of cooking meat I see, the more I want a to just start cooking large primals of meat on a Santa Maria style grill and throw away all my other cookers. My mouth is literally watering from watching them eat those pit beef sammies !! There's your answer new guy and welcome to the Pit !!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Right! My stomach was growling.

Dwaynereis im sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for. I cook by desired temp, probe tender, what I'll be using it for, who I'm feeding and how I want my leftovers to be.

Even mini bagel bites tell you 12-14 minutes.

depends on how big (thick) your chucnks are, your pit temp, where you pull it etc...

i can tell you when I put large chunks in a 325 convection parts can be pulled at an hour. Others not.

You need to know what you are going to do with it and desired temp etc...

Comment

Well I have a big enough Santa Maria I have access to the primal cuts now I need to search for a slicer that can do the job!!

Comment

probably too lean for low and slow to pulled consistency.

I would listen to the above, divide into manageable sizes and go the pit beef route:

If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	484147 Here are some pics I took today of my salad bar/deli station prep cook fabricating a top round as you have above. This is going to be for Roast beef in the deli bar section of the dining room.

Referring to Polarbear777 link above to MH pit beef recipe. Chapsmuses bottom round and slices on a machine. MH suggests to cook low n slow as do I. Cook to mid rare tops. If no slicer don't get too barely unless you have a seriously sharp knife and some skill. Make sure your against the grain on your final service cut.

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	484142

Name:	IMG_0622.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	484143

Name:	IMG_0623.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	484144

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	484145

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	484146

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here