Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is how you smoke chuck in the rain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how you smoke chuck in the rain...

Woke up to rain this morning - it's raining cats and dogs here in Alabama, under a flood watch with 3-4" predicted this afternoon. Wife told me to put the chucks in the crock pot, I said "No Way!".

Gutters are unable to handle the runoff from the metal roof I put on a few years back, so its overflowing all around the house like a waterfall, while I sit inside watching my Smoke remote, with the Weber Performer rolled up under cover...

At some point I'll have to go adjust a vent or wrap the chucks at 160, hope it slacks off by then!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7933.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	483115Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7936.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	483118Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7938.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	483116Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7940.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	483117

Still looking good. Keep dry. Our rain is still coming down frozen.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuck. I hate frozen rain! Then again, its pretty muddy down here now...

I like your shelter. I’m currently working through details for an outdoor kitchen. Tired of fighting the weather.

Comment

thats the spirit! never give up.

Comment

Don't forget to poke down some built up ash. The 3.5lb chuckie I did last weekend was 10 hours on the Weber with SnS.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Was that a SNS or SNS Plus? I've not had too much of an ash issue with the regular SNS, but will rotate the handle on the Performer a few times to clean out ash when I get out there at some point.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Just the plain SnS. I just jab the coals around the 4th hour and drop in a few unlit.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP I checked the coals when wrapping the chucks around 150F, as things were stalled really bad and I was growing concerned with making dinner. Racked the coals with my charcoal rake, and got back to cooking. Not gonna add any coals yet, as I am still in the 225-250 range.

Troutman yes over the winter the "pavilion" I built for the wife last May has helped a lot with cooking in inclement weather. I have about a 10 foot dash from the screened porch, down 3 steps and into one end of it, then I am dry.

I was originally going to build a fixed outdoor kitchen but not under the roof, as I felt smoke would eventually get the roof greasy and dirty looking. I've not seen evidence of that yet though, and have rolled one grill or another up under the roof for a lot of cooks now. That said, I have somewhat changed my mind on fixed outdoor cooking arrangements. I think now I prefer having the standalone smokers and grills, so that I can rearrange them or move them as needed. Once its built in, that is not an option. I do think I will eventually build or buy an outdoor "kitchen cart" that has a stainless top for prep, and some enclosed storage, on wheels. That way I can get some more countertop prep and serving space, but with it on locking casters, I can re-arrange as needed.

I had the offset and a 2nd kettle out there most of the winter, but moved those to another paved area recently, unfortunately not where it has shelter. Right now I am just keeping the ones that see the most use - Genesis and Performer - out there.

One nice thing with a true outdoor kitchen would be a sink with running water, but that also brings a lot more cost and complexity.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea when I say "kitchen" I really mean shelter, sink, more prep surface and storage. My cookers will have niches in which to reside. Too much invested in them, this will be their home

Right now I am in a stall - the meat has been hovering around 146 the past hour.

Comment

Yep! That’s the way I do it too...under a shelter.

Comment

Well, if they ever hit 150F I may go ahead and wrap. Does it matter if I wrap tightly in the foil with the broth, or can I use my big stack of disposable aluminum pans and lids?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Sadly, I went out there, dropped the chucks into 2 pans, and darned but you cannot fit two 9x13 rectangular pans on the 22" kettle without overlapping the SNS. So, pulled them out and wrapped in a double layer of foil. Sorta bummed, as I had cut up a bunch of bell peppers and onions I wanted to add to cook in the pan with the meat. Next time I will try that with just one chuck.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Pans.

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris you’ll like the peppers and onions. I made a big bed out of them and added beef consommé soup to it and covered. Wow came out with a great flavor but very little bark.

I loathe rain gutters aka "branch and leaf catchers." I had to remove one gutter since all it did was rot the house at the terminal end of the gutter. Local guy put metal a roof on his house and went with a really heavy gauge and just draped it over the sides in lieu of gutters.

I don't have a problem combining multiple pieces of meat in one pan.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, guess I could have gotten a larger pan and combined. I just didn't even think of that.

Agreed on gutters being a pain in the butt!

Beautiful place ya have there!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I like it when it's less wet!

Well, here is what I pulled off and sliced around 181 for dinner. Not as tender as I would hope. The larger of the two is still on its way to 205.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7943.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	483352Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7945.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	483353

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve found around the 190 Mark is my sweet spot.

Looks like a pretty good cook! You have a nice set-up and I'm looking forward to doing my own this summer. BTW, my BIL owns the sawmill in Moulton if you're familiar with it.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been to and through Moulton for one thing or another over the years, but never to buy lumber.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Apparently, the local joke about Moulton's proximity to Huntsville is you can go from rocket scientist to hillbilly in 30 minutes.

Pity it wasn't raining hog's and heifer's. Great looking cook.

Comment

Nice looking cook! I'm staring down the barrel of 6" of snow today. Made flat iron steaks in the cast iron last night in the house. Just getting ready to make breakfast indoors instead of on my flat top in the garage. Garage is about 30 yards from the house and carrying food back and forth in 30mph winds and snow falling is not on my to do list today.
              Weather can cramp the cooking style I feel your pain jfmorris

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here