Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Brisket on 640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Brisket on 640

Going to be doing an angus packer for lunch next Saturday, so would appreciate any advice you folks may have. Here's my initial plan unless I hear suggestions for improvement from you folks.

1) Trim and dry brine on Thursday night.

2) Friday am dry rub and put brisket on Yoder @ 225 with point end closest to fire pot. Monitor temp and wrap in double layer of butcher paper at around 150, take up to probe tender in flat and pull from smoker.

3) Hold for a couple hours.

4) Separate point from flat and vacuum seal then ice bath. Into fridge overnight.

5) Friday am cut point into chunks for burnt ends. Sauce ends and throw flat and ends back on Yoder @ 225 to reheat for a few hours.

Any advice on how I could improve this would be appreciated.

I would place the point away from the fire pot on account the point usually cooks faster than the flat. Also I like to wrap around 175* after it has form a nice bark.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      In my experience it’s the point and it could be that I do a lot of trimming too. Also I do mine on the stickburner never did one with the RecTec yet.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have always experienced the point cooking slower, but I cook on a vert smoker.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I could be wrong and got it backwards...won’t be the first time if I did and know for a fact it won’t be the last.

Since you're wanting to separate anyway, I'd suggest just separating before the initial smoke then you'll get more bark & smoke where those spots would normally overlap. They'll be bare & rather unsightly otherwise.

You could also eliminate a couple steps if you start it Fri night at bedtime, then you'll have fresh brisket for lunch Saturday instead of leftovers. The beauty of a pellet cooker is for just such situations.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I considered a night cook, but this will be my first on the new yoder, so I kinda wanted to monitor bark development, pellet consumption, variance in temp of different ends, etc., without having to get up several times.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nailed it. I am a bitofa purist, and smoke whole packers...well...whole.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr ROK Understood, I'd want to play more my first couple cooks too. texastweeter I've never separated packers yet, but in fairness I think I might on my next one. The Bark360 factor intrigues me.

I totally disregard internal temp with respect to wrapping. If I do wrap, which I rarely do, I'll temp just so I know how far I am from 200 internal.

Comment

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you a paper or foil man when you do wrap?
      Last edited by Dr ROK; April 14, 2018, 02:10 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr ROK I use mostly foil. As late as I wrap I can't tell a noticeable difference. On a big cook and cooking all night to serve at lunch for something like a fundraiser I'll go paper for economic reasons.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I always wrap. On a CAB, I am a paper man.

I'm with Huskee on this one. Use the convenience of a pellet smoker and let it run all night. Why eat leftovers when you can have it fresh off the grill?

Comment

I would not worry about an all night cook on a 640. Odds of a power outage or something breaking on the Yoder are minute.

Cook it on the top rack and it will be hotter at the end by the smoke pipe. Cook on the main rack (where I usually did) and it will be hotter on the left side over the pellet burner. Variance from side to side shouldn't be more than 15-20 degrees. I always put the thicker (point) end facing the hotter end. You can always flip it every 4 hrs if you see a big variation in temp. If you are using something like a Maverick, I think it is more important to have a probe in the point and a probe in the flat than it is to have a tempt probe.

For a brisket use a strong pellet like hickory or oak. Mixed with mesquite is not too strong on a pellet cooker.

Here is some info from my first cook on the 640.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...on-yoder-ys640
      Last edited by jlazar; April 14, 2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I would suggest you cook rest serve, donotreheat. Inject that bad boy too. Wrap with butcher paper (anything less than CAB, i use foil with 1/2 cup of beef stock). The most important advice I cangive you, HAVE FUN.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here