Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is QVQ Chuck Roast the New Prime Rib?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is QVQ Chuck Roast the New Prime Rib?

Last week I believe it was Mosca who posted an article praising the laurels of sous vide que chuck roast. The writer went on to say he thought it was as good or better than 70% of the prime rib he's been served. Now we all know (or at least should know) that prime rib is right up there in the pantheon of beefy greatness. In fact, next to maybe turkey, it's the most sought after protein on all the big holidays. And there's a good reason for that, pound for pound its about the best cut of beef in the cow.

So calling something better than the best is quite a stretch. So, ever ready to take on a challenge, yours truly decided to roast me a big piece of chuck and see for myself. I have done probably half a dozen QVQ chuck steaks to steak-like perfection. In fact having rare chuck has now replaced well done roast like in our household. But I've never done a larger roast. So I went to my meat cutter and explained the situation. He had no idea what I was saying (knowing nothing about SV himself) so he invited me behind the counter to supervise. He took out a large shoulder piece and showed me the chuck eye end cap. He said the first 4" or so would cost me $7.99/lb and the next 4" on would cost me $5.99/lb. Since we were up against the area around the 5th rib I said cut me about a 4-5" piece that weighed about 4# from the $5.99/lb section.

So now I have a nice CAB prime piece of chuck, nicely marbled. Cost is just below $25. Tied it up into a round shape and gave her the usual over night salting.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	roast 01.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	481327

Next day I got out my WSM and smoked the roast until it reached and internal temp of about 115*. Wasn't concerned about time, just didn't want to over cook but let it take on as much of a combination of mesquite and pecan smoke. I took it off the smoker and bagged it and into the bath it went at 132*. My intention was to go 48 hours but my timing was off and it only went about 40 hours. Since Chef Steps claims 24 hours should suffice or as high as 48, I figured my 40 should do the trick.....

Name:	roast 02.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	481328

So a couple of days later I now have a really well cooked roast. Since I wasn't ready to eat it, I shocked in an ice bath for an hour then put it into the refrigerator for a couple of days. Day of the cook it was kind of rainy and cool so I decided to re-establish my bark and heat up the meat in my convection oven. Put a nice herb rub (consisting of rosemary, thyme, pepper and garlic powder) and roasted it at 475* until I reheated it to 125* internal.

Name:	roast 03.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	481329

Sliced and diced and served. The roast kind of flattened out on me but seemed to come out pretty close in appearance to prime rib otherwise......

Name:	roast 05.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	481330

Name:	roast 04.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	481331

And the verdict (at least in my humble opinion) was this. Meat was very tender, most if not all the connective tissue had rendered and the various muscles were loose and falling apart. Doneness was medium rare and to our liking. Meat had a big, beefy taste to it set off by a nice bark. But was it better than prime rib? I'd have to say close cousin but NO cigar. Chuck has a heavier beefy taste to me that while delicious in its own right, doesn't compare to the milder more pleasing taste of rare prime rib. Chef Steps in their attempt cut out most of the fat and rolled the separate muscles into a roast that came out looking more like prime rib. Perhaps that would make a difference, I don't know.

All in all I liked the result in its own right. But again you can certainly imitate and come close, but it's going to be hard to duplicate (much less surpass) the unctuous, tender, melt in your mouth flavor of a prime rib roast. At least in my opinion. Try it for yourself !!

Great write-up and sounds like a fun experiment. Your conclusions were in line with what I was thinking. Much like QVQ vs L&S brisket: the results are satisfying, but not the same. BTW, I'll be giving your country chicken recipe a go within the next couple of days.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, let me know what you think !!

Considering economics, yes in my house.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well that part is certainly true. If I marched down to HEB and got me a prime rib that size it would certainly be $50 +. Cheap meats do make good eats !!!

I actually prefer the big beefy taste of chuck to the milder flavor of ribeye. But it's all personal preference.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      QVQ is an absolute game changer. It's hard to choose between good and gooder !!!

THAT was awesome! THANK YOU!

I would ask, was it better than average prime rib? Maybe, was it better than prime rib at Applebee's?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't know because never ate at Applebee's. But yea the chuck was at least as good or better than an average prime rib if it's not cooked to my liking. I think I got it real close, let's face it one or two ribs over is the prime rib cut, how much difference can it really be?

Nice pics.

Comment

Great write up. Thanx.

Comment

Tonight meal. SV at 130 for 48hr

Name:	B136E688-DB75-4FF9-91FD-E92DC04974A3.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	481527

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, slice it already!

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF LOL!!

EdF

Name:	E23A6A36-7D4A-49FF-82A1-26206923DD7A.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	481572Click image for larger version

Name:	61E38C89-59BD-4A97-8220-B5E19E458742.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	481568

Name:	5BDAE519-3405-4340-AAC7-06A4EE054F82.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	481571Click image for larger version

Name:	0F792904-18A2-4A6C-85B4-7A373DFB1D67.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	481569For
        Attached Files

Comment

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman , I would say not really. Although I have had some crappy prIme rib at restaurants over the years. If someone cooks the prime rib right- definitely not better to me. Not even better than tri tip. Probably better than most NY strip I have cooked or had, but I have not SVed a strip steak yet

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Throw in Pichana and I have to agree

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, Baby!

Yup, I'll take a plate full of that any day!!! Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here