Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Ops brisket rub on short ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Ops brisket rub on short ribs?

Just got back from the butcher... beef short ribs is all they had, so I got 5 sections of 2 bones. I don't traditionally care for the very peppery flavor of the rubs I've tried so far, like BBBR, SPG or the pastrami rub Meathead recommends (sorry, man!). In our house, we just don't like that much pepper. I like spice, love me some heat, but pepper is to be used more sparingly than it seems to me those recipes do.

So, I got some Black Ops in from mail order a couple weeks back, thought I'd try it out, it was highly recommended. But the wife isn't a YUUUGE brisket fan, so it's probably going to be a while, since I did one for Christmas and another in January. lol. I've mentioned it a couple of times and she said she wants to wait a while.

So I wondered if I should just salt these tonight, let them sit and do a "less-pepper SPG" tomorrow, or if I should throw the Black Ops on them tonight to brine? The Black Ops lists the first ingredient as sea salt, so I'm assuming I don't need to dry brine them with salt, I can just use this, right?

Anyone done this? Or should I salt/dry brine them tonight, then put the Black Ops on tomorrow an hour or two before throwing on the grill? Would that yield too much salt? I'm probably going to look at 250-275, planning 5-7 hours or so for these. I've got my new Fireboard to play with, so I'm going to see if there's a decent spot to stick some probes, but these things aren't all that big - I really wanted to try plate short ribs, but they didn't have any. I don't have a lot of experience with beef ribs, I've only done them twice, I think, and they came out ok, but again, too much pepper kinda overwhelmed us.

Open to ideas!

Plan is to leave them sitting unwrapped on a rack in the fridge tonight. That sound right?

The Oak Ridge Black Ops is my favorite rub for beef. A teaspoon of the Black Ops rub has the equivalent of about 1/5 teaspoon of Morton Kosher salt. Thus, you would have to use a little over a teaspoon of rub per pound to equal the 1/4 teaspoon of salt Meathead recommends for ribs. I don't like to use that much rub, so my method has been to sprinkle a little salt and a dusting of Black Ops on the ribs the night before the cook.

Comment

Great advice from John above, I was going to suggest do a partial dry brine and then use the Black Ops cuz it wouldn't be enough salt by itself in normal amounts, assuming you like the saltiness of a standard 1/2 tsp/lb dry brine. Another great beef rub to try would be Heaven Made Products' Texas brisket rub. It's high on the umami but low on the pepper spice. when I use either that or the Black Ops I'll do about a half to 3/4-strength dry brine and then a decent coating of either of those afterward. And I consider that my dry brine and I let the seasoning sit on it overnight or whatever time I have.

Comment

With multiple sections of ribs, you have the perfect chance to try different things. I'd dry brine them all the night before and then apply different rubs before the cook. Black Ops on one, a little pepper and maybe garlic on one, and whatever else you want on the others.

Comment

I do it all the time. Black Ops is great on short ribs!

Comment

I like Black Ops on beef. I like most of Oak BBQ rubs and buy quite a bit from them. I'd just go Black Ops either the night before a a few hours before they hit the grill. I do wish Oak Ridge would make their Black Ops in a coarser grind I like coarser grind rubs on beef. Another good rub is "Brisket of Love" from the Spice House it has great flavor and a coarser grind.

Comment

Black Op rub is great stuff!

Comment

Well, there has to be a change in plans. Dagnabbit!

Apparently my son has a regional trap shooting meet out of town, so I have to go to that, probably leave around 1, back around 5. This is probably too long to leave the ribs without any kind of supervision, I guess. I don't know.

I was thinking smoke them for a few hours in the morning, then seal them and throw them in the sous vide while I'm gone. Anyone done sous vide short ribs? No idea what temp I'd want to do them at....

Or, can I trust my Yoder to run 5+ hours with a full hopper without problems? I've got the Fireboard, so I can monitor it, but I'll be over an hour away, so even if something goes wrong, there's nothing I can do about it.

What do you guys think? Leave 'em on the Yoder while I'm gone, or pull 'em and throw 'em in the sous vide instead? And at what temperature?

Comment

Leave them in the Yoder.

Comment

I'll pipe in, I like the Oak Ridge products especially the Black Ops. And let me add I normally make my own blends, most I've tried really aren't to my liking. I think you'll enjoy that rub, but don't blame me if you don't. HouseHomey is our designated hater this week

Comment

You could SV them at 195 for 4-5hrs. Depends which device you trust most running at your home unsupervised I suppose.

Comment

I think 5 hours on Yoder will be fine. Make sure hopper full when you leave. Good luck to your son.
                        Sweaty

Comment

Thanks for all the tips.... salted 'em up a bit a little while ago, they'll probably get around 6h to dry brine. I should have done it last night, but damn, I am exhausted from work AND have a nasty sinus infection going, as well. I get one day (today) to try to get well and recover and then it's back to work.

So, I think I'll throw 'em on around 9 or 10AM and fill the hopper to the top when I leave around 1. I think my firefighter neighbor is off today, so he might be able to stop in once and check the pellets. I think it'll work out ok, not planning on wrapping, but if I can get them probe tender fairly early (6? 7?), I might try to cambro 'em for an hour or so.

<edit> Should be able to get some pics later.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here