Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steakapalooza - dry aged ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steakapalooza - dry aged ribeye

So I bought a 17 lb. USDA prime ribeye roast at Costco last month and start dry aging it with an Umai bag in my fridge. I wasn't sure exactly what my plan was, other than eventually eat it. Then a really cool thing happened. My older son showed it to 3 of his friends (they're all 16-17), and they got excited about doing a dads-and-sons grilling party. Of course, I'm all over that idea. So coming up this Saturday, I'll be hosting Steakapalooza. With moms and siblings, will be about 15 people total. The idea is to cook steaks different ways and let everyone sample them.

Here are my concerns/questions:
    • This is my first time dry aging, so I'm taking a bit of a risk. We'll be at 33 days on the day of the party. If the steak turns out bad, obviously that's a major problem. Everything looks right compared to the Youtube videos I've watched. Is there anything I should check for? If I had to go to Costco and get a non-aged ribeye roast that would be a bummer, but better than having nothing to eat.
    • I'm guessing based on what I've read that with the weight loss from drying, along with the waste from trimming, I should have 10-12 lbs. of steaks from that original 17 lb. roast. Does that sound about right from anyone who knows?
    • I have a meat grinder, and want to use some of the steak to make ribeye sliders. Can anyone with experience give me guidance on whether the dried exterior that I trim off could/should be ground along with the "good" meat for burgers?

Crazy Dave takes his pellicle and reconstitutes it and make jerky out of it. Not sure it's worth all the effort or not but that's one idea.

Crazy Dave Pellicle Jerky

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Pellicle! I knew there was a word for it, but for the life of me couldn't remember. Thanks for the link.

The Pellicle is what you will see tack up prior to smoking something like trout. I'm not sure I would use the aged trim/waste. I have no clue if you can. I would think not for burgers. If you must do a ribeye slider I would add some fat back to the grind which you may have originally trimmed off. Slider can go awry quickly without full control of your flame and proper mised out fixings.

I would pair the sliders with something like a jalapeño aioli, mushroom, bacon, arugala and Swiss. Proper proportions. More is not better for an upscale slider. Balance and flavor is where you want to live. IMHO of course.

Besides that Irvine Costco is a nightmare on Saturdays and you don't want to do that. I shopped at that one for like 5 years when I lived in Tustin and Newport.

you are a brace man for attempting burgers and such with your ribeye.

Carry on fine sir!

remember pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Irvine is an anomaly - I’m less than 4 miles from 3 Costcos. Thanks for the tips. I think I might pick up some fresh chuck, then I can grind in ribeye with chuck rather than ribeye alone.

Honestly I would just grind the chuck. Then just some ribeye. Do a side by side comparison. You may never grind ribeye again or only grind ribeye. Comparisons are fun. Especially with fatty unctuous stuff.

I look forwrd to you fun cook.

Comment

Sounds like a fun time! Get yourself a flat top for making those sliders. Chef Tom has a recipe for bacon jam sliders on the All Things BBQ web site that looks excellent and is on my list to try. You might want to take a peek at it.

Comment

this seems like it would be so much fun. i hope it all works out for you!

Comment

I tend to leave as much of the outside on as possible - it's one of the charms of dry-aging. For what you cut off, throw it into your burger grind, or into stock materials. It's the good stuff.

When you take it out, if you see white mold, grab a wiper of some kind and put some apple cider vinegar on it. You can then wipe it off (but it's harmless). At 33 days, it's unlikely anyway.

Be aware that the steaks you cut will cook a bit quicker than those that haven't been through the treatment.

And of course, enjoy! You will!

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here