Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ short ribs, feedback please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wssrstrm
    commented on 's reply
    yeah, turns out they were tender but not as tender as they became at bout 8:30 PM. Delicous! Success the second time around.

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    You must have a very sharp probe!!! Can’t believe good thick short ribs cooked at 230F are done in 4 hours. Have the ends shrunk back on the bones yet? Guess you could always try one???

• wssrstrm
    commented on 's reply
    What about sticking the ambient probe into the meat?

• wssrstrm
    replied
    Trying this again today. Using much thicker ribs, btwn 1.5" to 2" thick time around. They're on the grill now and have been on for about 4 hours. The avg temp up to now has been about 230°. Shockingly, a couple of the ribs are now probe tender, tho the meat temp is only at about 175°. So are these probe tender ones ready to eat, despite the fact the meat temp is nowhere near where I would expect it to be?

Leave a comment:

• RAGBBQ
    replied
    Yes, I just use a standard spray bottle to spritz.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    get them as one plate with the fat trimmed off the top.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    and they are waterproof ta boot!

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    boiling water... (212) and a yeti cup full of ice water that has been sitting out an hour (32.5-33 degrees)

• Sfdrew28
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe more exposed area results in more bark.

• texastweeter
    replied
    grassfed is almost never higher than the lower choice, not enough fat. I always cook the plates whole, and cut to size after. my process is as follows:

Two days before launch, dry brine and then hit with a jiccard or fork all over the meaty side. Wrap in plastic wrap and stick in fridge.

Just before lighting the grill, pull them out and generously coat with your favorite brisket rub. I have a pepper and chili heavy rub i use that I call BEVO Bark

smoke at 225 bone side down for 3 hours over oak/mesquite (only hit with the smoke for about the first 1.5 hours or so)

Pull and crutch in foil with 1/8 cup beef broth

return to smoker meat side down and foil side up and cook at 225 for 2 hours

remove from cooker, and unwrap. Reserve juices for a fantastic beef stock in brisket injections later.

return to cooker at 225 until they probe tender all the way through to the bottom membrane, and bark has tightened up; usually 1-2 hours

Wrap in butcher paper and rest in preheated cooler or warming drawer for about an hour or so.

Cut, devour, catch the meat sweats, and then pass out....

Leave a comment:

• wssrstrm
    replied
    Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
    Really good primer on beef ribs by Aaron Franklin at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew&t=103s He's using plate short ribs. If you get chuck short ribs, they are usually a little thicker and take a little longer to cook.
    Thanks for this! Interesting: the ribs in this video are MUCH bigger than the ones I had. The ones I had might as well have come from my Boston Terrier.

Leave a comment:

• wssrstrm
    commented on 's reply
    Sfdrew28 interesting, that's a good point. I wonder why meathead says he likes to cut them into 2-rib chunks?

• Sfdrew28
    commented on 's reply
    Another idea is to request the short ribs uncut like mine in the photos. This will help lessen the amount of meat exposed to the exterior heat and should be moister. It will add some cook time though.

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    wssrstrm Interesting observation! I certainly prefer chuck short ribs myself but thought I was very much in the minority. Mostly I prefer them because that's what's easiest for my to get. Even then I have to buy them a case at a time. I suspect a lot of people don't really know the difference.

• wssrstrm
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, meat was thin except for just one or two of the slabs. The thickest ones were definitely the moistest.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here