Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ short ribs, feedback please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read through this entire post twice and I am still not sure what kind of ribs are being discussed by the poster. I guess I don't know what 12 x2 rib means. I'm seeing people comment on short ribs, chuck ribs and back ribs. They are all kind of different animals. What exactly did you cook wssrstrm ?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Similar but chucks are a lot thicker so take a bit longer in my experience. Both cook to 200+ and probe tender however, so in that regard they are very much alike. The thinner back ribs are a different story. I'm just trying to find out what he cooked.

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I think this is a late April fools joke to make us crazy with no photos lol

• wssrstrm
      wssrstrm commented
      Editing a comment
      photo added!

Ok...I cook these pretty often. They come out juicy and flavorful. I almost always use grass fed and they shouldn’t suffer from the lack of fat on this cut. I follow meathead’s directions and use the beef rub. I cook at 225 and sometimes 250. It can take a LONG time to get to 200 area. I started using the crutch from about 160 on and then take out off the foil about 190.
    Im sensing you may have pulled them off too early due to a temp probe issue. Tough meat on this cut usually means undercooked as opposed to over cooked. Almost every time I’ve cooked these I ate dinner way later than planned. I now start them at 7am for dinner. Hope this helps
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sfdrew28; April 10, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Tough might be undercooked but tough AND dry???

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor Yeah...good point. Maybe there was only a very thin slab of meat on the bones? That would explain the extremely light weight of 7.5#s on 12 ribs. Could've ended up like leather on a bone. It's a great mystery without any photos.

• wssrstrm
      wssrstrm commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, meat was thin except for just one or two of the slabs. The thickest ones were definitely the moistest.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but in addition to probing for tenderness, I fill the Slow N Sear reservoir with water, plus I spritz the short ribs as well.

Comment

• wssrstrm
      wssrstrm commented
      Editing a comment
      Def used the water reservoir but did not spritz. Will do that next time. You just using a standard spray bottle for that?

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
    I just read through this entire post twice and I am still not sure what kind of ribs are being discussed by the poster. I guess I don't know what 12 x2 rib means. I'm seeing people comment on short ribs, chuck ribs and back ribs. They are all kind of different animals. What exactly did you cook wssrstrm ?
    haha, great point! I did not know about the difference between plate and chuck short ribs until this thread. Armed with this new information and having google image searched, I believe I cooked plate short ribs. However, I believe most of the pictures that have been posted thus far have been chuck short ribs.

I detect a preference for chuck short ribs on this forum. Do you guys tend to like those better than plate?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      wssrstrm Interesting observation! I certainly prefer chuck short ribs myself but thought I was very much in the minority. Mostly I prefer them because that's what's easiest for my to get. Even then I have to buy them a case at a time. I suspect a lot of people don't really know the difference.

This is the only picture I took! I will add to the initial post as well. I didn't have this photo reference when I was writing the initial post from work

The four littlest ones wouldn't fit on my grill so I braised them and they were delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	480869
    Attached Files

Comment

• wssrstrm
      wssrstrm commented
      Editing a comment
      Sfdrew28 interesting, that's a good point. I wonder why meathead says he likes to cut them into 2-rib chunks?

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe more exposed area results in more bark.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      get them as one plate with the fat trimmed off the top.

Originally posted by Ozzie View Post
    The standard probe does have an inherent problem of collecting and conducting heat into the meat end and affecting the reading. This will be especially true if a large portion of the probe is exposed. It is basically a heat (energy) antennae. I have switched over to these Thermoworks probes to use with my Smoke-

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

They are much smaller in length and diameter. Great for burgers, ribs, steaks, chicken compared to the big standard probe. The probes have a lower temperature range but still plenty good for low&slow cooking.
    THANK YOU! This is a great tip.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
      Really good primer on beef ribs by Aaron Franklin at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew&t=103s He's using plate short ribs. If you get chuck short ribs, they are usually a little thicker and take a little longer to cook.
      Thanks for this! Interesting: the ribs in this video are MUCH bigger than the ones I had. The ones I had might as well have come from my Boston Terrier.

Comment

grassfed is almost never higher than the lower choice, not enough fat. I always cook the plates whole, and cut to size after. my process is as follows:

Two days before launch, dry brine and then hit with a jiccard or fork all over the meaty side. Wrap in plastic wrap and stick in fridge.

Just before lighting the grill, pull them out and generously coat with your favorite brisket rub. I have a pepper and chili heavy rub i use that I call BEVO Bark

smoke at 225 bone side down for 3 hours over oak/mesquite (only hit with the smoke for about the first 1.5 hours or so)

Pull and crutch in foil with 1/8 cup beef broth

return to smoker meat side down and foil side up and cook at 225 for 2 hours

remove from cooker, and unwrap. Reserve juices for a fantastic beef stock in brisket injections later.

return to cooker at 225 until they probe tender all the way through to the bottom membrane, and bark has tightened up; usually 1-2 hours

Wrap in butcher paper and rest in preheated cooler or warming drawer for about an hour or so.

Cut, devour, catch the meat sweats, and then pass out....

Comment

Yes, I just use a standard spray bottle to spritz.

Comment

Trying this again today. Using much thicker ribs, btwn 1.5" to 2" thick time around. They're on the grill now and have been on for about 4 hours. The avg temp up to now has been about 230°. Shockingly, a couple of the ribs are now probe tender, tho the meat temp is only at about 175°. So are these probe tender ones ready to eat, despite the fact the meat temp is nowhere near where I would expect it to be?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              You must have a very sharp probe!!! Can’t believe good thick short ribs cooked at 230F are done in 4 hours. Have the ends shrunk back on the bones yet? Guess you could always try one???

• wssrstrm
              wssrstrm commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, turns out they were tender but not as tender as they became at bout 8:30 PM. Delicous! Success the second time around.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here