Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye cap disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a very thorough explanation from my local butcher. Took me into the cooler and showed me a slab. He said technically they gave me the ribcap. What every butcher should assume when someone asks for that is that you want the lifter. The actual cap he usually grinds up for burger as it is basically the part that attaches to the short rib.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Sfdrew28 like I said, shortrib. NONE of the butchers around here would assume that. Fresh, the blue store, heck even Brookshires knew what i wanted. Might wanna find a new butcher.

Terminology issue. Ribeye cap is the top of the ribeye.
    Sounds like he thinks you meant the cap on the ribs (as in short ribs).

Get him him to give you a standing rib roast and you can separate it yourself into three meals (rib bones smoked, eye of the ribeye as a roast, and the ribeye cap as your steaks.).

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      three meals?!?!?! You aint from Texas. The sliced rib cap as an appetizer over nachos, the prime rib sliced into steaks as the main course, and the beef back ribs as dessert...with pecan pie of course!!! Polarbear777

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. Three cooks. Eaten in one meal is a definite possibility. :-)

I tried the prime ribeye caps from Costco and was not impressed to say the least. I didn't like the taste or the texture of it. give me a good ole choice ribeye any day of the week. The caps I cooked was with a reverse sear, let the temp of the meat come up to around 115 then sear to around 130. Seasoning was just kosher salt dry brine overnight then fresh ground pepper.

Comment

Sounds like double talk to me. I was a butcher back in the late 60's and would never had thought that's what the customer wanted then or now, when he asked for the rib cap. Tell him Spinalis Dorsi if you ever want to try him again

Comment

Costco near me sells Prime Ribcap which is quite good. They roll and tie it. And as mentioned above, it is the top portion right above the eye. It is that very tender part about an inch wide, that kinda circles the rib steak, opposite side from the bone. Not sure what that guys sold you.

Comment

Ok...ran quickly into the butcher and the girl who cut it was there. She thought my request was odd but she cut it anyway. She agreed regardless there was way too much fat. The manager will call me tomorrow and make it right.
        She said she included the lifter and can separate it next time.
        I didn’t get an ill will vibe from her and I didn’t push why she put so much fat. Just let it go as life’s too short.
        I’m now more educated.
        Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

Just a final update. The manager of the whole operation called me back and explained that that cut shouldn't have been given me with that much fat and he will speak with/train the butcher on the ribcap. He also gave me a full refund and was very apologetic.

Comment

• wrgilb
            wrgilb commented
            Editing a comment
            Good for him. That's the way a business should be run.

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            A business worth a second chance for sure I'd say.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here