Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye cap disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye cap disappointment

I’ve read so much about how great the cap is. I wasn’t familiar with the cut as I’ve never ordered it before. Apparently I got a crappy cut from a very high end butcher. I trimmed off over three pounds of fat which I wasn’t too happy to pay for. Left me with 1.25 pounds of meat.
    I then did a simple salting and high temp cook for a few minutes. Figured a great piece of meat from a fine single farm and butcher should be eaten rare or medium rare at most.
    I cut the meat against the grain and when served the first thing my wife said "it’s pretty tough". Ugh...I ended up spending about $70 a pound and would have been happier with a burger from a diner.
    I’m going to go back this week and see if the butcher will do me right. I just think paying for 75% fat is a bit out of line. I didn’t see the butcher cut or wrap the meat as I was talking to the other butchers. I think she was less experienced as she wasn’t familiar with some of my requests. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    Regardless, I might have to try the Costco ribcap cut next. I like to support sustainable farming practices though.
    Rant over.
    Attached Files

Yikes! Yeah it should've been trimmed more for a premium price. I'd try a slow rise in temp, whether reverse sear or front sear, next time.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a little thicker than skirt steak. Knowing that you’d still go with a slow rise instead of just a quick high temp cook? Not being a wise guy. Trying to learn from the more experienced here.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Sfdrew28 Yes. It was most likely tough because it got the quick heat. It also could have been poor quality, doesn't appear to be much marbling there. Sorry for your experience.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly, that doesn't even look like ribcap. Not enough marbeling, and the grain looks dense/thinck. Not saying it isn't, but I can usually take a SELECT ribeye cap from Brookshires (the usually let me pick it out) and simply sear to rare on black iron with some tallow or bacon grease with a dry brine and a chili/black pepper rub and it is like butter. lookis kinda like short rib to me. Sfdrew28

That sux!

Comment

Dang! Another bummer.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
        Sfdrew28 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you have a bad experience too?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Not yet but some other members did.

cant speak to your cut and the fat issue (thats a lot!), but my cap last weekend was perfection. I did a reverse sear that I positively baby-sat to keep at 225 to slowly bring it up followed by a very fast sear over the fire. it's a pricey piece to "practice" on - I'll grant that.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
        Sfdrew28 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s posts like these that make me want to try again but right now it’s too soon. I feel like I need some time to settle down just like after a breakup 😂

They really took advantage of you. Costco removes the cap, then separates the meat from the fat, rolls it and ties it, then slices into pinwheels. They usually just do this to USDA Prime grade. I'll buy the whole rib primal cut from Costco. Then remove the cap, separate the meat from the fat. roll it, tie it and cook as a small roast, or slice into pinwheels, like they do. After doing this, you still have the whole eye of the rib left to cut into steaks or roasts or both. In USDA Choice the costs wouldn't be much more than what you paid for all that fat. The last time I looked the whole Choice rib was in the $7.99/lb. range and Prime was about $10.99/lb. at Costco.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
        Sfdrew28 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m going in with the attitude it was a less experienced butcher and a mistake. I try and always give someone the benefit of the doubt. If they see nothing wrong with me paying for three pounds of fat out of four total then I’ll take it to the next level. .
        Surprisingly the meat was so tough too I know grass fed isn’t always as tender as corn fed but this was terrible.

That sure does not look like the Costco rib cap a described above. They are great. I like them cooked slow to render some of the fat, followed by a hot sear.

Comment

You got hosed. I would go back and let him know it too! Especially at those prices.

Comment

Yikes. I’m sorry for you. That is not what ribeye cap should look like. It should basically look like an extreme skirt steak. Very marbled and loosely textured but no significant fat cap.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree i think that is a section of short rib.

• Baltassar
            Baltassar commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a ribeye cap if you ask me. Structure is just wrong.

Gotta second, third and fourth what every one is saying, something just doesn’t look right and I think you get ripped. If you buy a whole prime rib you can remove the Spinalis muscle from the top and make your own into pinwheels. You’re still left with the center portion of the roast so you could kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

I've only done one. It was just over a pound and i did it indirect with a reverse sear. Used salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. It was great but at that price doubt I'll do another one anytime soon.

Comment

wrgilb Troutman Now you guys have me thinking: dry age the rib roast for 40 days, remove the spinalis, roll, slice, cook. That's an experiment I'm going to have to try out, mixing the dry aged outside into the roll with the somewhat inner meat should be really interesting.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I only moved here a few years ago. That's quite a jump!

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was young and stupid. Lol. We did jump from the sides not the center.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol!

From my initial thought to the comments here I’m sure I didn’t get the right cut. That’s the reason it was impossibly tough too. I have a show tonight in the city and I’ll try and stop by the butcher early. I’m asking for a refund. Keep you all posted.

Comment

I have cooked the Costco prime wrapped ribeye cap a few times. I prefer smoking slow still tied up, then searing them. They came out awesome! I tried Sous Vide then sear once, might have screwed up something but they didn’t come out as good.

Comment

I hope they take care of you, that really stinks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here