Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Rib Roast With A Smoky Twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Rib Roast With A Smoky Twist

I'm going to try a road less travelled (maybe even untravelled) with a boneless rib roast today / tomorrow. Here's the plan:

1. I'm following Meathead's prep and tying technique described on pages 248-249 of his book. I ended up with 3-1/4 net pounds of trimmed/tied meat about 4" in diameter.
    2. It's an unseasonably brisk Spring day here in StL, and I want to add a kiss of smoke to the finished product ... so I did about an hour of cold smoking with a small amount of applewood pellets in my A-MAZE-N smoker tube placed inside my Weber E310 gas grill (grill burners off / lid closed).
    3. Next step, dry brine the uncooked/slightly smoked meat with salt in the fridge for the next 20-24 hours.
    4. Tomorrow sous vide for 5-6 hours at 135 F. with my Joule ... pull and damp dry ... apply a light layer of Meathead's Rendevous-Style Memphis Dry Rub (this has been our go-to rub for a number of years). I'm going to save the juices from the sous vide bag and make a red wine and shallot jus sauce.
    5. Final stage will be doing a high temp flash sear on all sides on the flat griddle side of my GrillGrates on the gas grill.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome. May The Que Be With You (MTQBWY).

Sounds like a plan. You like that rub on beef do you? Since you've already smoked it, my advice is null but another option would be to either dry brine it first before smoking, or dry brine then SV then chill/shock, then smoke up to temp. There's several ways to accomplish the same thing. Sounds like it'll turn out mighty fine.

Comment

• BillinStL
      BillinStL commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestions Huskee ... too far gone to stop now, will see how it goes. Would be a real shame if I have to try doing it again a different way (NOT!!). I like that rub on everything ... pork (naturally) ... and it's really excellent sprinkled on grilled Salmon ... even scrambled eggs ... but surprisingly good on beef (I've used it on Tri-Tips before with very good results). MTQBWY

Sounds good to me. I'd have probably reversed the pre-smoke and dry brine, but you're already committed. Not really likely to be an issue.

Comment

Should be fine...good luck!

Comment

Sounds good to me. Enjoy!

Comment

Show us some pictures of the cook padawan!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here