Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribcap and picanha questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribcap and picanha questions

i went into a high end butcher today and was pleasantly surprised to find their prices were very reasonable. I have never cooked either a ribcap or picanha before so I was intrigued they would cut the ribcap for me and they had picanha.
    On my four pound ribcap(they took the whole thing off) I paid for about two pounds of fat with it. Is that normal or is that why the prices were so reasonable? Lol
    I’ve enclosed photos of each and was wondering how much more to trim and what is the best way to prepare each. The butcher mentioned she likes her ribcap rolled and smoked low and slow.

picanha is photo number two.

Input appreciated.

Drew
    Attached Files

That’s normal.

Comment

It may be normal but I’d sure remove some from the spinalis

Comment

• Sfdrew28
        Sfdrew28 commented
        Editing a comment
        On the picanha you’d leave it? Thanks for the help

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes leave it.

Costco sells prime ribcaps without the fat.

Comment

Smoke it rolled up is great. But I would trim a lot of that fat off. Rub it with herbs/flavors before rolling.

Leave the fat on the picanha. However, is that a ‘pure’ picanha? It looks like it’s 2 foot long? They usually weigh no more than 3 lbs. Could also just be a funny angle in the photo.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
          Sfdrew28 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Henrik. I’ll trim the fat and roll. 225 a good temp? If so, do you bring it up to the 200 range like a brisket?

The picanha is two pounds and about a foot. It is the angle. Suggestions on the picanha?

Cook both these like you would a rib eye steak...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here