Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Ribeye

So I finally couldn't resist anymore. I knew there would be somewhere in the bay area I could find that sold genuine wagyu beef from Japan. They had New York as well but it was $189/lb! This ribeye was still no slouch at 89/lb, but I just had to do it once. Cooking suggestions? Im thinking to slice it into smaller strips and put a skillet over some warp 10 coals and just sear the outside. Seems to be the most suggested way cook it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8836.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	477991

Wowsers !!!! Treat her gently my padawan ....

Comment

Wow

Comment

Great looking steak! I have one that I will be cooking in 2 weeks so I’m looking forward on how you’re
        going to cook yours.

Comment

Cut it into strip and fry it in a cast iron pan. You don't need any oil, the fat melts so fast that is releases plenty of oil. It will cook fast, so be vigilant.

Congrats, that is going to be awesome~!

Comment

Incredible! With all that marbling, I wouldn’t serve rare, the texture is weird. I’ve had this in Japan many times, they always seem to serve med rare to med.

Comment

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome, where in Japan did you go? I'd love to do a food tour of the different regions in Japan.

i bought this a last year. Also from Japan, Miyazaki Wagyu. I found it very rich and very fatty, as you can see. A little goes a long way.

ENJOY!

Name:	WagyuWholeMiyazaki.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	478034

Name:	MiyazakiWagyu.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	478035

Comment

• Omega-Man
              Omega-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Was $995. Costco and D'Artagnan have it on sale once a year around the holidays. Regularly $1,200

• JakeT
              JakeT commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah I fully intend on buying the New York from Costco some day. But I couldn't justify it with taxes due in a couple weeks. Looks beautiful though, what are the various ways you cooked it up?

• Omega-Man
              Omega-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I have only cooked them on my Sterling grill which has ceramic burners. They get very hot. The other way is on the stove, either cast iron or stainless steel but, get them real hot. There are many YouTube how to videos.

Wow!

Comment

Makes the cost of the elk meat in my freezer seem pretty inexpensive!!!

Comment

Below is how I ended up making the ribeye. Turned out awesome, incredibly tender and juicy. I'd really like to make a full 1"(minimum) thick New York next time. Perhaps someday. I did a few pieces pan seared but the flavor just wasn't as good as being cooked over fire. I really had the itch this weekend so I ended up making a salsa and ribs as well. The salsa I smoked the veggies for about an hour then put them under the broiler to get a good char.

That was a great weekend, good food, good company, good drink. For me, that's what bbqing is all about!

Name:	IMG_8876.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	480121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8886.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	480127Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8887.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	480124Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8887.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	480131Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8892.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	480120Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8896.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	480125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8875.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	480132Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8881.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	480122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8893.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	480123Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8899.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	480126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	480128Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8909.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	480130Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8906.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	480129
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice lookin' cook all around. Wouldn't mind a bit getting an invite to that feast !!

Comment

living the dream! everything posted makes me jealous right here

Comment

Absolutely fantastic!

Comment

Where did you find that in the bay area? I know Pape Meat Co in Millbrae carries it. think prices are similar. I looked and looked away

Comment

Sfdrew28, I got it at Pape. I went to a butcher in Sunnyvale and one in Redwood City as well. The one in Redwood City, Gambrel & Co. has Australian Wagyu, but I was hunting the real deal. Crazy though at Pape Meat Co they charge 189/lb for the New York, while the costco price ends up being just under 100/lb.

Next time I'm over there I want to try some of their dry aged beef. I've had dry aged before a long time ago, but I'd like to give it a whirl again seeing as I don't really remember much of what it tasted like.

Comment

• JakeT
                            JakeT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great recommendation, I think I've got a job starting in Daly City soon so I'll definitely add Oceana Market to my route next time I'm out that way. At those prices for that quality of meat you can't beat it!

• JakeT
                            JakeT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Now you've got me thinkin' about those Berkshire chops, I wonder if I call ahead maybe they'll make me a couple 2" thick ones. I love a good thick chop.

• Sfdrew28
                            Sfdrew28 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They are very accommodating and the tomahawk chop is great.. They have with or without bone. I wouldn't recommend getting the Berkshire ribs though. They only have baby backs and they are way too thin with not much meat.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here