Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami, lol, epic fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami, lol, epic fail

I am hoping for constructive criticism....I attempted pastrami, but it was ..not so good ....

Took an existing corned beef and de-saliented it over 48 hours changing the water every 6-12 hours ...applied the rub in the system for Katz pastrami ...smoked it at 225* until it got to 185 internal temp....

Should I have stopped and then steamed it or...should I have carried on to 203* internal temp?

Please advise accordingly, I want to try again ....soon! lol

Glen Turton

glengrillin

You stopped at 185 internal then attempted to consume it?

Comment

Either steaming or taking it all the way to probe tender will work. Please don't get fixated on a set temp. The meat is done when it is probe tender.

Better advice might be given if we knew what was wrong with your pastrami.

Comment

• GlenGrillin
        GlenGrillin commented
        Editing a comment
        It was tough and chewy, but the wife said it'll get dried out if you keep going lol.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        It probably was not done when you pulled it. Use a probe or instant read thermometer and start checking for probe tender in the low 190s*. The probe should slide in with almost no resistance. That's when you should pull it.

He didn’t cook it long enough. That’s what was wrong with it.

Next time take it to 200/203 you will taste the difference.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I was guessing along the same lines.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here