Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a Sirloin Tip Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a Sirloin Tip Roast

I'm going to prepare a 3 lb Sirloin Tip Roast for dinner tonight. I've had it in the sous vide bath for about 40 hours now. I'm planning to pull it soon, cold shock it and finish it this afternoon. Looking for advice on the best way to finish it.

I've read a number of posts from folks who sear their tip roasts after bringing up to temperature. I can certainly do this, but was wondering how it would be to bring the roast up to temp in the smoker to get some flavor on it before reverse searing.

Alternately, I could leave it in the sous vide bath for another few hours, then pull it and go directly to searing it. But I'm worried that might be pushing it a bit long in the bath. That will make a total of 45 hours or so in the water. Is that too long for a 3 lb roast?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

It has probably done plenty sous vide. Best way to get some smoke flavor is to put it in the smoker while it is cold. I like to bring them up to about 125 internal and then sear as quickly as possible, then slice it thin.

That's really the only way I like to do a sirloin tip roast.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Troutman.

Thanks so much for the advice Jerod Broussard. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      No prob, I typically get a couple of those a year from a home grown fatted calf.

Here's the end result. Pulled the sirloin tip roast after 40 hours in the water and cold-shocked in an ice bath then the refrigerator. Applied a light dusting of big bad beef rub and smoked at ~250 F for 2.5 hours with oak chunks. Brought the temperature up to 125 F. Had some nice bark so decided not to sear. Sliced thin, perfect medium rare. Remarkably tender and flavorful. Served it up with a nice au jus made using the purge, some butter, garlic, thyme and red wine. Serious Eats Best Ever Roasted Potatoes on the side. A great Easter dinner.

Thanks again to Jerod Broussard for the tips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_150530.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	476147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_174416.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	476148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180401_174743.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	476149

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      theroc, that looks great. I bet it was tasty!!

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip. It was very good. I'm still amazed by what sous vide can do for such a lean, tough cut.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent result

Looks like you nailed it!
    Last edited by djl; April 1, 2018, 09:02 PM. Reason: added the word "it"

Comment

Wow, that does look delightful. This is where sous vide really shines, especially when you can bring some BBQ to the party.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And especially in transforming cheap meat into heavenly!

What temp did you Sous vide at? Have one I would like to cook like this, thanks

Comment

Water temp was 131.5 F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here