Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style

I did 10 lbs of tri-tip today Santa Maria style. I did it on my grill set up for two zone cooking at 225 degrees with red oak, of course. It took about 45 minutes to get the beef to 110 degrees, and then seared to 135 just like in Meathead's book. Before cooking I dry brined with 1/2 tsp of salt per pound the night before. Just before cooking I applied a light sprinkling of lime juice and a light sprinkling of when pigs fly rub just for a little heat. Then a light coat of olive oil and medium coat of 4 tsp sweet paprika, 2 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, and 3 tsp pepper. And voilà:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180331_123728[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.27 MB ID:	475528

A word of advice: Make sure your fire is good and hot before you sear at the end or you will over cook it before it sears. This was the best thing I have ever cooked and eat. Very tender is cooked this way, and VERY TASTY!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180331_123533[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.29 MB ID:	475547
    Last edited by lostclusters; March 31, 2018, 09:13 PM.

They look great!

Comment

I actually saw a tri tip at Sam's yesterday when I went to buy my ribs. It was tempting to pull the trigger, but I knew I wouldn't have a chance to cook it for awhile.

Comment

I love tri tip! I’ve cooked on that specific model grill here in Sweden, love its old school style. No nonsense, gets the job done.

and great looking beef, that’s for sure!

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

Good looking cook, tri-tip is in my queue for my next cook as well, got a nice one from Crowd Cow. One thing I would say is (not trying to be too picky) but my understanding of Santa Maria style cooking is open fire direct using wood splits. Now I'm not a Left Coast guy so I'm no expert, just sayin' what you did was indirect and reverse sear. Still an excellent looking job, I'm sure you enjoyed it regardless.

Comment

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              You are correct. However to go all the way with it would have been a lot more playing around. I wanted the first cook for this to be simple, to check it out. Maybe next time I'll use only red oak wood. But even still, as you noted, it would still not be the same cooking style. But I think I have captured the flavor of the style, as noted in the book.

Man that looks good. I know what I am going to grill next.

Comment

Nice looking cook! Tri Tips have become quite popular around here lately. Next time try laying one of those bad boys on a board sauce right after you take it off the sear and start slicing you won't be disappointed I can assure you that!

Comment

• lostclusters
                lostclusters commented
                Editing a comment
                That is how I eat one. It started out just tasting, but I could not stop it was so good. Before I knew it one was half gone!

noice lookin’ tips! bet there was lottsa smiles at your table!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Now those are some nice looking tri-tips!

Comment

Great looking tri tips!

Comment

Beautimous!

Comment

Beautiful. Love Tri-Tip. Try using a mop sauce next time, sear and then go indirect. Pour the left over mop sauce over the tri-tip and let stand for 10 minutes. Delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here