Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Brisket.

Greetings y'all.

Today is my first brisket. I feel pretty confident with ribs and pulled pork but never tried a brisket. Always thought the good ones were too expensive. Was at Costco the other day and they had USDA Prime briskets for about $3.80/lb. I thought they were more expensive than that. So I figured might as well take the leap (cook it and they will come, so to speak). I bought a smaller packer at 11ish lbs. Figured it wouldn't take as long as a bigger one.

This morning I woke up at 4am trimmed the brisket. Removed all the fat from the point and tried to leave a 1/4" on the flat. tried to remove all the other fat (deckle and such). Then I scored the flat and injected with the prime dust/water. Dried it off and put on my own rub. Salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. More salt and pepper than the other two. Let it sit while I got my WSM ready. Got the brisket on about 0615. Kept the temps between 225 and 260 the first 6 hours. The plan was to pull the brisket just before the stall and wrap in foil. At about 6 hours probed it and the temp was 152. So I wrapped it tightly in foil and added some of the left over injection mixture from the morning. about 3/4cup. When I probed it the meat was still firm.

at about 3pm I thought I would check the IT just to see where it was. The smoker temps have been holding right around 260. I inserted the instant read thermometer into the point through the foil and it went right in. Felt just like butter. Just like I have read on here and seen in videos. The IT temp was around 204. So I thought I would check the flat and see if the temp was similar. Probed it and once again felt like butter, I had to back the probe up a little bit. IT right on the money. Pulled out the probe to go inside and get a tinfoil pan and my gloves. I instantly heard water dripping on to the drip pan underneath the brisket. The thermometer probe went through the bottom layer of foil (double layered btw) and all the good Au Jus was escaping!. FML!

The Brisket is resting in the cooler. Guests should be here around 6.

Just a couple of early questions.
    What is the average price of brisket per lb when buying packers? I am in San Antonio. Just looking for points of reference.
    - I took the fat off the point because of the amount of fat in the meat and I figured It would allow me to get more rub to the meat. Anybody else do that? Or is there an APB out for me now?

Pics to follow shortly

That is a great price for Prime. I run $1.96/lb for run of the mill Choice and Select at Wal-Mart. Angus which looks way better with respect to fat in the flat runs $3.99/lb.

I see nothing wrong with taking all the fat off the point. I leave it to give me more yield but have taken it off in the past.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have noticed that at HEB down in Gruene that the primes are WAY less expensive than they are here in East Texas. Every time we go down there (in-laws have a vacation house on the river) I grab a few and bring back. The price you paid is about in line with that. Apparently it is cheaper in Central Texas. cccq Jerod Broussard

Prime brisket at the Costco in Bellingham, WA was $3.49/LB yesterday. In the last year the range has been between $2.99 and $4.29 per pound.

Enjoy your dinner.

Comment

Choice flats are $6.79/lb here in NEPA, but they are trimmed. It’s hard to get a full packer up this way.

I trim the the heck out of mine. My experience is that once you start eating it, it doesn’t matter.

It sounds like that brisket is going to be perfect, btw.

Comment

Sounds like a great cook, an adventure! I'm stayin along fer th ride...
        Which size WSM do ya have?
        Are ya usin briquettes, or lump charcoal? What kind, why?
        What kind of wood(s) fer yer smoke?
        Water pan/ water y/n?
        Jus tryin to learn here, amigo!

Comment

I need to make a trip to Costco’s when I get home

Comment

Here are the pics as promised. The brisket turned out better than I thought. There was none left. So I guess it was a hit. The bark was pretty darn good. I was hoping to get a softer bark rather than a chewy one and it worked out. It was very tender and moist. I was hoping the flat would be more juicy than it was, but it was not dry.

WSM 22" - today I used kingsford regular briquets. In my experience the kingsford regular is pretty consistent and lasts longer than the cheaper brands. If I am only going to smoke something for 6 hours or less then I use the cheaper no name brand. If it is longer than I use kingsford. The water pan was full when I started.

One issue with the WSM is the damn door. It leaks big time and I think it has been giving me higher temps. However, today I put elastic tie downs around it and they did the trick for the first 5 or so hours before one of them melted.
            Anybody have a cheap, effective way to seal the door around the WSM? It would be much appreciated.

I used Hickory chunks - about 3 of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_181358.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	475518Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_181718.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	475519Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_182947.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	475517

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Try injecting canola oil in the flat from the top to keep it more tender and moist. I use the multi hole needle and go with the grain from the side for my regular injection, and then the single from the top with the oil on the flat. Try a roll of gasket material for a ceramic cooker on the door to help it seal better. cccq

That's a great lookin' brisket. Brisket dries out really quickly when sliced. For that reason, I always set up a carving station and slice when guests bring their plates. That helps prevent drying.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Beautiful smoke ring, and a great looking cook. I too had been smoking food for over 20 years and never done a brisket until recently - now that it’s past me I know it was nothing to stress about. As others said, Costco has the prime in the 3-ish price range usually, at Christmas it was 2.99 a pound here when I bought one.

On your door - someone sellls a gasket kit for the WSM, and even replacement doors that are not flimsy and prone to warping. I would search the forums here a little or someone with a WSM will chime in I am sure, or ask in that forum.

Comment

Looks like ya nailed it, brother!
                  Great lookin brisket!
                  I've never worried overmuch bout th smoke leakin out th door of my 18.5" WSM's; they seem to hold temps jus fine, despite that...

Comment

Cajun Bandit makes a nice looking SS replacement door: https://www.cajunbandit.com/WSM-22-5...oors-s/142.htm

Comment

Wow, the brisket looks great and that smoke ring is gorgeous. Costco here I come!

Comment

You could use Nomex gaskets around the door. Something like this.

Food Safe BBQ smoker gasket, grey FDA food contact safe seals! Great for BBQ smokers, kitchen equipment, dutch ovens, and pit cook chamber doors.

I show it here on my 14.5. It a long post but it starts at the second pic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here