Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 150th Post! So wanted it to be a good one - Wagyu Packers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 150th Post! So wanted it to be a good one - Wagyu Packers!

I'm pretty excited, through a mutual beef farmer friend I have made a connection with another farmer here in Aberdeenshire who is a few years into rearing genuine Wagyu! He was interested that I am looking for brisket for smoking low and slow, as he uses it for burgers at the mo. He is dropping round to mine this week and bringing two full packers for me! I'm going to smoke em up and we will try it.

Now this is bloody expensive meat, so do I need to approach it differently (never worked with Wagyu before)? For instance I read in his brochure that the nature of the feeding and appoach means there is more oleic acid than the naturally occuring stearic acid and this causes the marbling to break down at lower temperatures, so do I take it to 203f internal? Etc.

Finally, just to say, I have really enjoyed my first 100 posts and all the great feedback, advice and the humour! Looking forward to my next 100!

You're in for a treat! It is true that there's more oleic acid, you can taste it. But it is good stuff. As for doneness, temp is only one way. You need to check for probe tender, that is the #1 rule. As in: wiggle that temp probe. When it is "soft like buttah", you know it's done.

Comment

Congrats on the nice meat! But, I see 149 posts currently?

Comment

Yep, that’s what I see too...149

Comment

Huskee Not sure how the count in my messages section is based but that is the one I was basing it on.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180331-214407.png
Views:	95
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	475273

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMonster View Post
            Huskee Not sure how the count in my messages section is based but that is the one I was basing it on.
            Oh I see. Those are actually posts that you've subscribed to.

Here's where you can see your total posts

Name:	posts.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	475275

Comment

Huskee DWCowles LOL can some one change my post title to 150!

Comment

Happy 150th, Brother!
                Glad yer here!
                Lookin forward to th Wagyu beef pics!

Comment

• MeatMonster
                  MeatMonster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Photos for sure, probably Thursday or Friday! Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lookin forward to more MeatMonster !
                  Sláinte!!!

Well you’re at 151 now so you can relax and enjoy that Wagyu!!!

Comment

Nice score on the Wagyu, I wish I could come across a friend of a friend that could hook me up with some of that!

Comment

Congrats and don't forget the photos - please. And beef with more marbling tends to get tender at a little lower temp. so start checking early - it might be done in the low 190s* F.

Comment

Wow, that is AWESOME! Gotta document that cook with plenty of pics - and maybe plan on sending some samples out????

Not sure if they can get 'em here while still useful, but I'm willing to be a test subject!

Comment

Man by the time I read this you were an old man at 155 !!! Enjoy your meat, sounds fantastic !!

Comment

UPDATE Whooohoooo! 2 X Wagyu-Angus cross, brisket arrived today hand delivered by the farmer, straight from slaughter house! I know it's not pureblood, but it's best looking beef I've had so far! Just trimmed, salted and ready for smoker tomorrow night.

Name:	20180412_111624.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	481934

Comment

Hey, who gives a rip about how many whatever. Just show the meat man, show the meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here