Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next up: Tri-tip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next up: Tri-tip!

Well, seems tis the season..... wrgilb got me thinking about tri-tip, then Frozen Smoke posted about reverse sear with board sauce, then PanRains chimed in so I guess tri-tip season is in full swing. I going with the smoke n reverse sear and board sauce plan!

The only thing I am unsure about is approximating cook time so we eat at a predictable time. I plan to smoke this 1.75 lb tri-tip at 225 to IT of 120, then sear on the IR sideburner for a few minutes a side. Any rule of thumb on the cook time? I’m guessing 3 hours but really unsure.

Check out this gorgeous marbled tri-tip! Just dri brined it and it’s going back in fridge for 6 hours.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5643AF98-A071-4631-A71C-3B1A9903C9D8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.22 MB ID:	473773

That is a nice looking tri-tip, almost wagyu if not wagyu !! I got one coming Friday from Crowd Cow. Will reserve for later but really looking forward to it as well. I won't stress about time, just get it up to IT then sear.

Comment

I can't answer your question but I can marvel at the marble!

Comment

I don't think it will take that long. Probably no more than 2 hours, I'd guesstimate an hour and a half.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          ah, good to know! thanks!

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here 1.25- 1.5 hours maybe depending on the thickness

My experience is you will reach 120° in no more than one hour. I then wrap until ready to eat, and sear at the end. Plan on 90 min total and you will be safe. Shouldn't take anywhere near 3hrs.

Comment

i've had tritip take longer than an hour. it depends on your cooker, a bit. you can usually judge how long it's going to take while it's cooking since you don't have to worry about the stall. i like the way the center of the pan is clean so it frames the meat. almost religious... either way it sounds like you have a good plan. i look forward to the pictures!

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            ha! well after Steve B called me out posting a pic of a shiny new pan once, I go dig out the seasoned ones for photo ops!!!

For me it takes about 1hr 15min on my pellet grill to get an IT of 115 with a grate temp of 235. Then a few minutes to sear each side on my gasser. On my PBC it takes about 40min to get an IT of 115 with cooker temps ranging from 255-290. Then again a few minutes to sear. I basically treat tri tips like a big ole steak. Definitely one of my favorites to cook.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Since you have both a pellet popper and a PBC, what's your go to cooker for tri tip?

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            BFlynn Sorry for the late response. I no longer have a pellet cooker. This post was from 2 years ago. However, my go to is a Weber kettle modded with fan control.

Also, after much experimentation, I take off the smoker at exactly 118, in the thickest part. This will yield great med rare in the thick park, and the tail portion will give some more well done

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	48D9520A-8FBE-4CCE-9672-FD273053EC15.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	473801 Ah, I have enough info now so it’s 5 oclock somewhere....
            As Frozen Smoke would say, the herbs are getting to know each other!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	849BAA79-5F1B-41B6-AF86-58E1A00D7F88.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	586.3 KB ID:	473799
            Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              What was the little bunny fer? Eggs?

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey FireMan what chya doin’ so far back in time? If’n ya check the date, I think the Easter Bunny was visitin’

I generally cook them hot and fast. 325-350 it takes 30 to 40 minutes, flip 1/2 way through, then sear at 600-700 a couple of minutes each side. Cut across the grain.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              is there any advantage to slow cooking or do you think both ways would come out the same?

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment
              I consider it a big steak and cook the way I do steak. I don't think it can get any better doing it slow, but that's just my opinion.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Tritip is just a big steak and is great cooked hot and fast for 30 minutes.

It’s the same advantage as a reverse sear steak, maximum red/pink throughout, with very little grey. Look at Meathead’s article on it.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, I'm sticking to the plan, slow cook and reverse sear!

Of course there’s always SV and sear

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't have a SVeedish cooker!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, but you will. It's only a matter of time. You will be assimilated!

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              lol!

I do mine on GMG pellet grill. I smoke at 180 until the internal temp is around 90-95, then just turn heat up to 325 until IT is 130, pull and rest on a flat cookie sheet covered in foil and a towel on top of that for about 20 min. That gets it to the perfect pink that I prefer. It’s at the upper end of medium rare. I don’t sear because I don’t prefer that method and the meat is great every time anyway.

Comment

Looking good so far noob.

Comment

Looking really good so far. You're gonna love this cook especially with that board sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here