Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing up my steak method slightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing up my steak method slightly

Reverse sear is a great way to cook steaks, but is tricky because the higher the cooking temp, the faster the meat cooks and you get more carryover temp rise. This makes it more difficult to pull the steak off the grill at the exact right time. I have been trying front sear for a while, and am now close to getting the method down the way I want it. We like our steaks medium with a lot of pink and very little gray. So here's my latest attempt:

I used the small Weber chimney upside down for the sear - it holds about 15 KBB, but I should have added a few more so that it would have been level with the top after ashing over and settling a bit. I have a small ss grate that I use for searing over a chimney and it works great. It even does the cold grate technique. I could have used a little more heat for a faster sear and getting both filets on the small chimney was challenging. Next time I will use the larger chimney upside down for more heat and more room.
    I did the standard flip every minute to sear the meat, but it did take a bit longer than I would have liked. That's the main reason I will switch to the larger chimney next time.

After the sear, I dumped the hot coals in the SnS and moved some leftover KBB already in the SnS over to contact the hot coals. I set the CyberQ to 250 for the "low" and let it do it's thing.

The steaks turned out great and I will use this method again. Here are the photos:

I use one glove to handle the grate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I7037.jpg Views:	1 Size:	360.2 KB ID:	473353
    After the first flip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I7038.jpg Views:	1 Size:	342.4 KB ID:	473354After the sear - they could have used one more flip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I7039.jpg Views:	1 Size:	359.5 KB ID:	473351

As you can see, there was very little gray banding, and they were cooked the way we like them. My wife's comment was "Wonderful!"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CM7I7042.jpg Views:	1 Size:	382.1 KB ID:	473352

I see no problem with those. Have you tried SV and sear? That last photo looks a lot like that kind of result. Nice looking filets by the way !!

Comment

Nice write up Ron! They look great! No banding hardly at all. I too have a hard time hitting the exact temp.

Comment

The "wonderful" is all you need my good man!

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Those look great!! Did you sear a set amount of time on each side and how many times did you flip? I am guessing that due to the thickness of the steaks you really cant go by temp.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                I flipped every minute until I got the look I wanted. The coals were not quite as hot I wanted, so I flipped a lot more than I had planned. I started with raw meat, so I wasn't at all concerned about temp, but if I remember correctly, the temp went to ~ 115* F prior to the "slow".

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks

Thanks for the write up RonB If you can produce results like this than obviously the reverse sear is not the only game in town.
              And thank you very much for making me really hungry. 😋

Comment

I find myself front searing more than not, even on thicker chunks. Back when reverse searing was a fad I was all over it. Still LOVE reverse searing, but then again I still LOVE burnt sear marks even more!

Comment

I’m knew to this whole cooking game I’m going to try your Method

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope it works for you too. Just remember to place the meat on a cool section of the grate when you flip. That will keep it from sticking and give you an even brown on the surface.

Those look great but I've been reverse searing a long time. The only thing I don't sear when it comes to beef is a prime rib roast. I've managed to get a nice crust on a prime rib just using the smoker heat. I've never had a problem hitting my target doneness using the reverse sear method. I think you just get a feel for it after a time. I take IT temp before I sear but not after. I don't care about the after sear temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here