Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dino Ribs - Beef Back Ribs - First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino Ribs - Beef Back Ribs - First Time

I'm planning on smoking some Dino Ribs (bone in but, I'm sure you all know that) on my Kamado at around 275 degrees.

Any ideas as to how long it will take? It is 6 racks weighing a total of 10.5 lbs.
    Do you recommend wrapping?
    Does wrapping help keep it moister and juicier if left unwrapped the entire cook?
    Is 275 too high? Seems Franklin cooks everything at 275.
    Is there much difference in time if I cook at 275 instead of 225?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

As always, thanks to all!

275 should be fine!

Comment

Can't wait to see the pics....Cheers!!

Comment

Back ribs are a lot thinner than chuck or plate short ribs which is what Franklin is cooking in his book, videos and BBQ retail shack. Both beef, but other than that, quite different cuts. Temp of 275 should still be OK, but watch them close! They are thin enough that they'll go from done to dry pretty quick no matter what temp you're at. Time for beef short ribs is usually 7-10 hours, but back ribs will be much less, maybe 4 or 5, maybe less at 275??? I don't remember last time I did beef back ribs so can't make an informed comment on wrapping. Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

I love beef ribs! In your komodo they should stay moist enough left unwrapped. I always prefer that method. Looking forward to pics.

Comment

Yeah! Post pics....Please.

Comment

I’ve cooked those at 250* before, took about 3-4 hours. At 275* you should see about the same. They aren’t shorties but are delicious none the less. Let us know how they turn out !!

Comment

Back Ribs are very tasty. It's tons of fun to gnaw on them for a good while. I've never wrapped them. You should be fine without that. 275 is ok. (I've not cooked on a komodo before.) You want to pull when they start to probe tender. I'm guessing 4-5 hours at that temp.

Pictures, please!

Comment

I am assuming you are talking about thick, beef plate ribs.........

I cook them on my BGE a few times. I simply treat them like I do brisket. Salt, Pepper, garlic and maybe some onion powder. I would not wrap them, let them ride old school, brother!

As for timing, unwrapped at 275 F.........I would budget 12 hours. You have very little airflow in a Kamado, so 275 F is a great cooking temp. IMHO.

Have you purchased the ribs yet? If not, buy the highest quality you can find/afford. It will pay off, and be even richer in flavor! Good luck, this will be one of the best meals you have made. Looking forward to the results.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a good point, I took him to mean beef back ribs off the prime not shorties. No way the thinner ones take 12 hours, they cook about as fast as pork, especially at 275*. Guess he needs to specify.

• Omega-Man
                    Omega-Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I went with Full Blood Wagyu! They are definitely the less meaty back ribs.

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When the OP (@Omega-Man) said back ribs, I took him at at his word. They are good for sure but still not the same as short ribs!!!

We do beef back ribs (the ones that come in racks of 7-8 ribs and have relatively thin meat) at 250º for 5 hours. Just a light dusting of rub and no wrap and they're great. As PaulstheRibList said above, a meal with lot's of glorious gnawing. The meatier beef short ribs take longer, but we've only done them a couple of times and haven't established a repeatable process yet.

Comment

I'd love to see a photo of the raw ribs before I estimate any time. Either way to answer the wrapping question: I would not wrap. These have so much fat they still stay moist. I cook beef ribs regularly, and they're amazing. You're gonna love 'em.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree 100%, let's see 'em and no wrap, kills the bark and all the best flavors.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here