Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we make it through this day!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we make it through this day!!!

The Y is doing Pot Roast. Kinda Sorta all on his own! We've been slowly teaching him to cook. You gotta remember, he grew up eating the cooking of a woman who thought Lasagna was properly made with box pasta, cottage cheese and the secret ingredient, the French's Spaghetti spice packet!!! to put it mildly, he has a warped pallet!

So, today, he's doing Pot Roast. I gave him the Ramen Fine Cooking magazine with a nice basic "Here's how ya do pot roast article. He's doing OK except he thought seer was done on medium heat. I fixed that for him. then, well, I nearly killed him.

While I await my new knife set, I am working along with my only two good knives, my small Shun Chef's knife and my fabulous Paring knife. still haven't had a day when tat wasn't in my hand! So, the Y is very carefully dicing onions and garlic while I'm tending the seer.. I move the meat over and he's ready to put the well cut alliums into the pot when SCCCCRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!

He was using the BLADE side of my Shun Chef's knife to scrape the onion and garlic into the pot. I SCREAMED and grabbed his wrist. It took me a second. at first I didn't realize I wasn't breathing! I just took the knife from his hand, showed him the miraculous tool the knife makers had given him, the FLAT edge!!!! I tried not to yell, to keep my voice calm and level. I gently walked from the kitchen and picked up my steel as I passed and carefully realigned my edge while I sent him for a Time Out.

He's not dead but, I hope he has learned a lesson.

Meanwhile, the Pot Roast seems like it might be pretty good! Now that he is open to learning, I'm pretty happy with the results. he has breakfast sausage pretty well in hand. makes a mean patty, there. Pot Roast is his first major dish attempt and I'm trying to let him do it himself. Here's hoping I can stay in here watching MASH reruns for another half hour!

'Tis A Fine an Noble Thing yer doin, but I know it's jus killin ya...
    Hope th Pot Roast is a big success, Sister!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 25, 2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Always enjoy your musing Karon, very humorous about the knife, can just picture it !!!

Comment

Funny stuff Karon - at least for us readers. We will reach 43 years of marriage next year, and my wife finally knows which knives she is not to touch. I keep 'em all razor sharp, but mine don't have any chips in them.

Comment

RIGHT? My new set is supposed to ship next week or the week after and I could not be more excited! Other than these two I have currently, I've never had other Damascus style knives. and I have been incredibly impressed with my Shuns. if the Pacificas are as good, I'll be a happy camper. so long as the Y treats them right! A man who works with tools should know that you treat them with respect!!

Comment

You are a brave woman teaching an old dog new tricks! Patients and persistance....
            remember, pics required!!!!

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              your wish....etc, etc....

When I set up my kitchen 30 years ago, I invested in a set of JA Henckels. Several years back I purchased a Shun chefs knife and serrated sandwich knife. What a difference, I love the Shun blades. They stay very sharp and cut with no work. I'm still working on my steel technique though, thank god the Shuns don't need much to keep them sharp.

Comment

I can see it clearly. Karon's all "Go Y! Go!" "Go sit in the corner." Can't wait to see pics. I rootin' for ya Y!

Comment

OK, at the risk of hijacking Karon Adams thread, I've got a question for all you "knife snobs" out there (seriously, no insult intended). How often do you have your knives sharpened? Professionally or do you do it yourself? I've never seen a knife that would "stay sharp" for weeks or months if used. I cut (and sutured) living tissue for over 45 years before Retirement so I DO appreciate sharp cutting instruments. In my kitchen you will find a lot of medium-low priced knives, such as Victorinox and (pre-China) Chicago Cutlery. You will also find a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. My knives all get touched up after every 3 or 4 uses and are always SHARP! Surgical sharp! I did have to have a tantrum when we switched to granite countertops and the installer told my dear wife that she didn't need to use cutting boards anymore. Anyway, since then I've had no troubles keeping a very ample supply of very sharp medium/low priced knives on hand for any use I want (including scrapping garlic into a pan). A quick 3-4 strokes through the Chef's choice & all is good in the kitchen again. After 40+ years of this routine I've got 1 narrow bladed Chicago Cutlery boning knife that is demonstrably narrower than when purchased, but it's still the wife's favorite for trimming fat & silverskin when processing venison, so I dassen't through it away. None of the rest show any appreciable damage from being sharpened very frequently with an electric machine. Lest anyone think I am just a cheapskate, I have some very pricey custom made hunting knives that get used only a few times a year. Mostly, I have those for sentimental reasons in that they were made by good friends of mine. Help me understand the concept of premium priced kitchen tools???

Comment

well, I have two Shuns and recently ran across a VERY sweet deal on a full set of knives plus a set of steak knives as well. and the price was about the price of one chef' knife., around $300 for the 5 knife set

Said to be designed on the same basis as the great knives in kitchens around the world, they look to be AMAZING.

If any of you are interested, you can still pick up a set. you can buy individual knives if that is what you prefer or you can buy a set. the fork, steel and one other aren't included in the set but can be purchased additionally.. But, the basic set is 5 knives. The were on Kickstarter when I first found them, the Kickstarter campaign is over but they are doing a second run over on IndieGogo if you would wish to check out the design and, perhaps, pick up a set for yourself!

For myself, I am INCREDIBLY excited to get them and looking forward to using them and taking notes to give you all some reviews.

Meanwhile, here they are. Take a look! Pic some up! For the price, it is certainly worth the price.Even if they aren't the last knives you buy, they may be and if not, they still look to be a heckuva buy!

Japanese Damascus Steel Knives with Western Design Handles | Check out 'Pacific67 - Ultimate Kitchen Knife Set' on Indiegogo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018 03 25 001 collection photo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	472663
                  Last edited by Karon Adams; March 25, 2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I have yet to have need for mine to be "Sharpened". My Steel has been enough to keep my blades in line! the Steel, however is indispensable. you will use it last as much as you will use it.when they DO need sharpening, I tend to sharpen them at home. I have a sharpener that makes them real nice and sharpens the edges to the proper angles. Amazon has them. they have several different sharpeners. they can be manually adjusted so that your cutting surface is exactly where you want it. good for scissors as well. there is a manual adjustment so you can set up at least one to the 17 degrees to which Oriental knives are set. I found this little gem sharpener from an article in Fine Cooking. they've started doing this feature of gadjects they love and where to find them.
                    This is just a link to the product. I hope ti is the good link and let's you go to the item, straight. the link was rather....erm.....long!!
                    Here is the sharpener:

https://amzn.to/2GoHO0c Click image for larger version

Name:	sharpener.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	472687
                    Last edited by Karon Adams; March 25, 2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

and finally, Dinner's done and BOY was it good! The Y was going on about he had never dome so much to put together a roast, before! he was used to tossing the stuff in the pot, a little water a bunch of veg and plug it in. well, it was close this time. we ended with a perfectly braised hunk o critter. MAN it was good!!!We carrots and taters cooked on top of the meat. and the meat just fel;l apart. Absolutely yummy!!

Looks like I have lost yet another Kitchen Dish to HIS new hobby!!

Planning Pork Roast next week. he says he's doing it on his own!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 25 001 Pot Roast in the pot 001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	472694Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 25 001 Pot Roast on platter 002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	472695

Comment

• smokenoob
                        smokenoob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh, I know where this is going. My wife does it to me all the time. How bout making that great Pot Roast you do so well......
                        I’m on to you!
                        (go girl!)

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cool!

I think you just need to put a padlock on your good knife drawer, and keep the only key hanging around your neck at all times!

Comment

dinner looks fantastic give the Y a big fat sloppy hug and kiss!

Comment

• Karon Adams
                          Karon Adams commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did. I think he may have just had a heart attack!

I gotta ask, whats a Y???
                        I have a DW

Comment

• Karon Adams
                          Karon Adams commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Huskee got it right. And he's the Y in our Family.

• smokenoob
                          smokenoob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          OK, guess my wife is a Ynot then....

• Karon Adams
                          Karon Adams commented
                          Editing a comment
                          not a bad nickname for the one with perfectly matched chromosomes!!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here