Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There a Brisket Smoke Time Rule of Thumb???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There a Brisket Smoke Time Rule of Thumb???

I am smoking my first brisket tomorrow. Just doing a 4.2lb flat before I jump up to something bigger and move to the point.

Is there a rule of thumb to follow in terms of hours/minutes per lb? Trying to figure out how long this smoke is going to take. If there is a rule of thumb, does it include resting time in the cooler or no?

Going to smoke it at 225. Yoder YS480 pellet smoker.

Not really. Some may say a rough time per lb, but it's anecdotal in my opinion. A 4lb flat may take just as long as a 14lb full packer. After all, a full 14lb packer still has a thinner flat on it, and it cooks the whole time with the point. It's the distance the heat has to travel inward & the time it takes at that temp to soften and melt the tough stuff that takes the time, not the weight of the chunk of meat. I'd say plan 8-12hrs. A big variance, yes, but you'll most likely be somewhere in there. Give it a good 2hr hold after it reaches your goal temp & probe tenderness.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Key words being "good 2hr hold" and "probe tender"!!! Good luck & enjoy!

He said it all

Comment

Husky is on the money with his advice. Give yourself plenty of time. I cook smaller briskets all the time and I'm amazed at how long it takes to get them probe tender. As noted above, don't skimp on the hold time either!

Comment

I asked a friend once "how long do you cook it?" he answered "till it’s done"

IT tells when its done. but, guidelines help tell when to probe IT if you don’t have a IT cook monitor installed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here