Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to store pastrami???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to store pastrami???

I've just smoked two corned beefs following the Katz's recipe. One is right now in the steamer. What is the best way to store the second one that has not been steamed yet. Should I steam and freeze it? Should I freeze it and steam later. Just know I won't be eating both of them right away and need some advice. Thanks!

I would steam and Vac seal, then freeze it. Then when you want to eat, you can simply heat it up.

Another option if you have a sous vide circulator, is to vac seal it, freeze it then reheat using Sous Vide.

Comment

Welcome Eldee

Comment

Welcome from Texas!! Do what is suggested above for good results.

Comment

Welcome! I don't remember having enough pastrami left over to worry about storing it... But if I did, I would do what the "Spinmeister" Spinaker said. It reheats passably well in a microwave too, in case you don't have, or don't want to mess with the SV.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I vote for getting it ready to serve and then vac seal and freeze. You could even portion it so that you can pull the amount you want out of the freezer and leave the rest frozen.

Comment

Welcome Eldee. I think you just may have broken a record of some sorts. Been around since Sept. ‘15’ And this is your first post, well, eat good & have fun. Hope we/I didn’t scare ya off.

Comment

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the quick and helpful answers! The second one is headed to the steamer!!

Comment

I would slice it before freezing it, and while it's still hot. It's hard enough to slice after it's cooled down, let alone after it's been frozen. Slicing it after it's been thawed, it might just crumble.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here