Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs: A Visual Journey [Pic Heavy]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's some good looking meat my man! Way to go!

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Stellar job! Keep up the good work, and thank you so much for the play by play. I got a few of these bad boys in my freezer. Maybe it's time to cook 'em up...

Comment

Are these the right ones?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150102_162050.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	48003

Name:	20150102_162136.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	48004
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey Dew, are those chuck short ribs? How thick is it? How many bones? You may want to reduce the cook time because it might be leaner/thinner than plate short ribs. Like the mantra here, find the thickest part to place your probe. I've noticed I reach 190° in about 4 to 4.5 hours.
            Last edited by eugenek; January 2, 2015, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• eugenek
              eugenek commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok cool, it looked like the label said chuck. Good luck, hope it turns out fantastic!

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              You know, you are correct. I never looked at the label because I was relying on the butcher/meat dept. guy. They look good anyway. I'm sure I will love them but will keep looking for short plate.

DEW

• eugenek
              eugenek commented
              Editing a comment
              I've had a similar incident where a butcher I was trying out insisted it was from the short plate. I'm sure chuck short ribs can be just as fantastic but the cook must be just a little different.

Excellent walk-thru - thanks! I need to try to do some beef ribs - the last time I tried several years ago it was a major fail (due to operator error) and I have kinda avoided them on purpose since then.

Yours looks great - thanks for sharing your recipe and your process!

Comment

Originally posted by eugenek View Post
              Thanks guys. A quick look through the pics above and I'm thinking to myself, yup, most of these show some aspect of how AR helped me with new techniques and terms, as well as challenged my previous understanding of how to barbecue.
              Eugene we're glad you're enjoying the site and the club. We definitely enjoy having you here.

I didn't have a medal handy when I replied earlier, but I do now!

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	128
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	48166

Comment

OK, now you have set a goal for me! I will give these babies a go shortly and appreciate the detailed primer. Gracias.

Comment

Looking good. I have done beef ribs twice. 1st time I ran out of time and had to stop to quick. The 2nd time I think I might have left them on too long. They kind of had a "roast" texture/feel to them. Tasted great. Is that what they are supposed to feel like?

Comment

Hey Yeti, maybe it's a little more brisket point than roast, or a combination thereof. That fat and collagen keeps everything loose yet together and spongy to the touch.

Comment

• TheSmokingYeti
                      TheSmokingYeti commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, that's exactly what it was.

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What exactly should I tell the butcher I am looking for when I am looking for those plate ribs. Thanks! Awesome post man!

• eugenek
                      eugenek commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, here's how my conversation goes:
                      - "I'd like a whole slab of bone-in short ribs from the plate, not the chuck. I don't want it trimmed or cut up. I want it in the bag straight from the farm/distributor."
                      - "That's the whole slab and not cut or trimmed, right?"
                      - "That's the plate and not the chuck, right?"
                      - "That's bone-in and not boneless, right?"

If you want to get technical, it's NAMP 123 which is the North American Meat Processors designation for a 3- or 4-bone slab of bone-in, untrimmed short ribs from the short plate.

Here's a box of plate short ribs (prime Angus) my butcher ordered from Creekstone Farms.

Hope this helps!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here