Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs: A Visual Journey [Pic Heavy]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs: A Visual Journey [Pic Heavy]

Hey all, I was gonna try to do the recipe thing but I’m a visual guy and figured I’d just take a bunch of pictures from last night’s cook. We all like pretty pictures, right? I’ll try to sprinkle some commentary throughout. Also want to say that I’m not exactly up on all the science of BBQ so forgive my ignorance. Feel free to send advice my way.

I grew up on short ribs with Korean dishes such as kalbi (thin sliced and grilled), kalbi jjim (braised in sweet sauce), and kalbi tang (beefy soup). So it only seems natural that I’ve fallen in love with Texas-style barbecue short ribs. My first taste was when Adam Perry Lang brought his trailer over to the Jimmy Kimmel backlot in Hollywood a couple years ago. The meat was amazingly beefy, smoky, juicy, and primal. It made me very happy and I’ve been on a mission to recreate it ever since.

First off, the short ribs I get are NAMP 123 and usually 3-bone off the short plate (note this is different from chuck short ribs). I usually get Choice from my local butcher and prep them straight from the cryovac without trimming. Here’s a YouTube video that does a pretty good job of explaining this cut:

I’ll prepare the moisturizer, rub, and foil mix the night before. Moisturizer: 1/4c water, 1/4c prepared yellow mustard, 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1tbsp apple cider vinegar. Rub: 1/4c garlic salt, 3 tbsp coarse ground fresh pepper, 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp lemon pepper, 1 tbsp kosher salt, 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Foil mix: 1/2c firmly packed light brown sugar, 1/2c honey, 3 tbsp Better Than Bouillon, 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp unsalted butter.

I get my power trip on and give that lighter cube a blast to show him who’s boss.

I wrap my water pan like Harry Soo suggests. Sometimes I’ll add water but mostly I’ve been leaving it dry.

I’m very pleased with Harry’s donut method. I use about 3/4 of a bag and a few chunks of wood.

I leave out the bottom rack if I don’t have to use it. It’s a real hassle trying to get in there with meat on the top rack and cables running around.

I’ve got the Auber temperature controller to regulate the smoker temp and the iGrill mini for the internal meat temp. I get the temp up to 275º.

Back in the kitchen, I slather on the mustard moisturizer, rub in the seasoning, and spray it down with canola oil.

This particular cut was extra long so I laid one on top of the other.

I insert the probe between and above the ribs on the chunkier side of the meat.

This initial cook lasted 4 hours when the internal temp reached 190º.
    Last edited by eugenek; January 1, 2015, 03:26 AM.

Pour out some of the mix onto the foil and wrap the meat. Then back into the smoker for an hour.

In the meantime, I’ll get started on some roasted veggies (beets, carrots, cauliflower).

Take the meat out and let them rest for 45 minutes in the foil. Then save the jus for later use.

Back at the empty smoker, I need to raise the temp to 300º for the remainder of the cook but the colder weather means I need more fuel. I get another basket going and place it inside.

Re-season the ribs and back in the smoker to firm up the bark for another 45 minutes. The temp was back up to around 285º at this point but it didn't get any hotter.

Flip those veggies.

Remove the fat from the jus and strain it through cheese cloth (get those bits and pieces). Then keep it warm in a pan.

Prep the board with dressing (parsley, olive oil, fleur de sel, fine black pepper, jus).
    Last edited by eugenek; January 1, 2015, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Wrap the ribs in plastic wrap and hold in cambro (30 minutes or until ready to serve).

A few different ways to serve: Cut up lengthwise, slice across the top, in chunks, even pulled apart (if consistency allows), or as individual ribs on the bone.

That's it! Happy New Year!

Credit: Short Ribs with Fleur de Sel recipe from "Serious Barbecue" by Adam Perry Lang.
      Last edited by eugenek; January 1, 2015, 03:24 AM.

Comment

WOW, nicely done!!!

Comment

Wow, that was an awesome presentation Eugene. All of the food looked fantastic and your techniques was excellent.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful

Comment

Looks amazing, very jealous of your ability to take (and properly post) pics. Definitely something I will refer to on my next beef rib cook.

Comment

• eugenek
                eugenek commented
                Editing a comment
                John, don't be too jealous—I had a few problems uploading and inserting pics. Sometimes they ended up tiny even though I only selected "Large". At one point, there was a constant error with any pic I tried to upload so I had to start from scratch. I'm sure there was some operator error involved, but honestly posting shouldn't be so difficult. (Please note I'm not discounting any of the hard work by the AR team!)

Very nicely done!!

Comment

You don't look, "not all up on the science of BBQ," to me. Well done....That is one DEEP Cambro!!!

Comment

Those look fantastic! Thank you for sharing, I'll have to try this!

Comment

Awesome Eugene. Pit Boss Approved!

Comment

Outstanding cook and post Eugene, well done sir.

Comment

Incredible post! Wished I still lived in L.A., because I'd be headed over to your house...

(Kimmel films at El Capitan, right?)

Comment

• eugenek
                          eugenek commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, in the old masonic lodge that's now part of the El Capitan complex. Love LA weather and food, hate the traffic.

Thanks guys. A quick look through the pics above and I'm thinking to myself, yup, most of these show some aspect of how AR helped me with new techniques and terms, as well as challenged my previous understanding of how to barbecue.

Comment

Eugene, the look positively wonderful. Where do you find the plate ribs? I am dying to find a source for big meaty longer bone short-ribs.

DEW

Comment

• eugenek
                            eugenek commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Your local butcher shop should be able to help you. When I was price shopping, I called 30+ butchers and almost all of them knew exactly what piece of meat I was talking about. But you just need to make sure you ask for the entire slab of 3-4 ribs because they're immediately thinking you want it cut English or Flanken style. Buy whole slabs, usually packed in bags of 2. Some examples of how they're packed in the cryovac:

And a note about the grade… I tried Prime a couple weeks ago and it was definitely good (and expensive!), however the texture wasn't as satisfying. It's hard to say exactly what it was because both the Prime and Choice were juicy, but the Choice's less even marbling seemed more enjoyable. Gonna keep experimenting with these.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here