Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs: A Visual Journey [Pic Heavy]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eugenek
    commented on 's reply
    Your local butcher shop should be able to help you. When I was price shopping, I called 30+ butchers and almost all of them knew exactly what piece of meat I was talking about. But you just need to make sure you ask for the entire slab of 3-4 ribs because they're immediately thinking you want it cut English or Flanken style. Buy whole slabs, usually packed in bags of 2. Some examples of how they're packed in the cryovac:

And a note about the grade… I tried Prime a couple weeks ago and it was definitely good (and expensive!), however the texture wasn't as satisfying. It's hard to say exactly what it was because both the Prime and Choice were juicy, but the Choice's less even marbling seemed more enjoyable. Gonna keep experimenting with these.

• eugenek
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, in the old masonic lodge that's now part of the El Capitan complex. Love LA weather and food, hate the traffic.

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Looks great! Thanks for the pics!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Wow that's some good looking meat my man! Way to go!

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Eugene, the look positively wonderful. Where do you find the plate ribs? I am dying to find a source for big meaty longer bone short-ribs.

DEW

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    replied
    Thanks guys. A quick look through the pics above and I'm thinking to myself, yup, most of these show some aspect of how AR helped me with new techniques and terms, as well as challenged my previous understanding of how to barbecue.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    Incredible post! Wished I still lived in L.A., because I'd be headed over to your house...

(Kimmel films at El Capitan, right?)

Leave a comment:

• Deuce
    replied
    Outstanding cook and post Eugene, well done sir.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Awesome Eugene. Pit Boss Approved!

Leave a comment:

• Hondo
    replied
    Those look fantastic! Thank you for sharing, I'll have to try this!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    You don't look, "not all up on the science of BBQ," to me. Well done....That is one DEEP Cambro!!!

Leave a comment:

• cdd315
    replied
    Very nicely done!!

Leave a comment:

• eugenek
    commented on 's reply
    John, don't be too jealous—I had a few problems uploading and inserting pics. Sometimes they ended up tiny even though I only selected "Large". At one point, there was a constant error with any pic I tried to upload so I had to start from scratch. I'm sure there was some operator error involved, but honestly posting shouldn't be so difficult. (Please note I'm not discounting any of the hard work by the AR team!)

• _John_
    replied
    Looks amazing, very jealous of your ability to take (and properly post) pics. Definitely something I will refer to on my next beef rib cook.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Absolutely beautiful

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here