Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Beef Recommendations to Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Beef Recommendations to Smoke

This past Sunday I smoked a beef tri-tip on my pellet smoker. I mixed hickory with apple. I did the technique where I smoked it at 225 until the meat reached 130 degrees. I blasted the smoker to 450 and then seared the tri-tip until an internal temp of 137 (looking for medium rare plus). I probably pulled it a bit early but nonetheless it was pretty tasty.

My question is this: besides a brisket, what other beef cuts should I try smoking? I've been looking for those huge beef ribs but haven't been able to locate them yet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here is a pic of the tri-tip.
    Attached Files

That tri tip looks very nice, I also wish I could find some of those big honking beef ribs but no luck so far in my area either.

Comment

Hmmm. How many stars are in the sky? Everyone will have a different response methinks! For me I love meaty beef back ribs (they have to be meaty, not shiners!), whole short rib plates, chuck roasts for pulled or chopped. You've found tri-tip and for me that is tops. I'll do lean roasts to make my own lunch meat.

Comment

I agree with PappyBBQ . Smoked Lean Beef Roast is better than any lunch meat you can buy. IMO.

Comment

A chuck roast is excellent when smoked. Smoke it like you would a brisket except take the IT to 209/210 so it will pulled easier like pulling pulled pork.

Makes excellent Philly steak subs with it and sauté onions and bell peppers. Top it off with your favorite cheese.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Now why did you go ahead and make me drool all over my keyboard....for crying out loud

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Chuck roast is the correct answer! So easy and versatile.

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            And the uses are endless.. Chili, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc., etc., etc.

Beef ribs!!! Besides brisket, that is my favorite thing to make. It is really tasty stuff!

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Short rib is my favourite by far.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are good. But I love the big plate ribs!

If you're ever watching your pennies, an eye of round roast makes a very good cheap tri-tip or Prime rib. you definitely can't take it much past medium rare plus, they dry out cuz they're so lean, but if you do it just right it's good eating on the cheap.

Comment

• Greasy
            Greasy commented
            Editing a comment
            I put those through my meat slicer when finished and make French Dip sandwiches.

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Lunch meat special!

A smoked chuck roast is a beautiful thing
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	469815

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my......

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Yes, it is.

If you can find it, rump cap (also called Picanha) is an extremely tender cut that must be cooked hot and fast.

Comment

A meatloaf is also great smoked.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoked meatloaf is awesome

Definitely chuck roasts. You wanna get one that’s about 3 inches thick. As DWCowles said above. They make awesome cheesesteaks.

And as you mentioned for sure big beef plate ribs.

Comment

I have nothing to add but that my mouth is waterin' big time. I. Love. Beef.

Comment

In general, meat from the front part of the cow lends itself very well to smoking. So chuck roasts, ribs, brisket, ox cheeks, shoulder clod, et.c.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cheeks. Now that is one I have not tried yet. Well, I've had Walleye cheeks.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shoulder clods sounds like a Texas thing. I believe that is what they smoked before going to briskets. With that, I've never seen a whole shoulder clod out here in CA. Tri-tips are a dime a dozen. Maybe clods are very common in the midwest. I looked it up and it also goes by Cross Rib Roast. Now I've seen that in the market, but is it the whole shoulder clod or a cut down clod??

Beef Short Rib is at the top of my list.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here