Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yikes! Sudden T-bones X 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes! Sudden T-bones X 4

A last minute New Year's Eve dinner just sprung into life, and I got presented with 4 large 1" T-bones (not my favorite) to grille. One of those "Hi, we're here for dinner, here's the steaks" things.

Quick read-up on AR for steaks, too late/dark/cold to devise a good searing setup in the PBC, so I guess it's 2 zone and reverse sear in the gasser. This is when I really wish I had at least one charcoal grille.

Got the 225F zone calibrated, and a new propane tank cannected for best chance at high-temp sear, Maverick is monitoring the grill for the slow part and I'll have a probe sideways into one of the steaks, and a Thermo-pop handy. The old gasser has new burners, so I have the best chance to get it as hot as possible for the sear. We'll see!

At 1" you might want to start the sear quite a bit sooner, I started 10 degrees before finish temp on a couple of 1.5" and by the time they had a decent sear they had risen to medium+ instead of medium rare. You may instead want to let it cool off and then flip quite often. I still don't have my reverse sear down really well, but I can tell you the things that don't work pretty well

Comment

Methinks that after you reach 115 on the cool side of the grill you can slam it down on the hot side for about 1-2 minutes per side. I'd watch them closely for the final temp of 135 - 140. Depending on the searing temp of your cooker, you may need to flip after 1 min / side and check the temp.

Remember, undercooked (rare - not raw!) may be more forgiving than overcooked.

Good luck,

--Ed

Comment

Things went OK. Each of these steaks was well over a pound, so good sized.

I pulled them off the indirect side at 110F, and cranked the burners up. It was well below freezing outside, so getting everything as hot as needed was going to take a bit. We got tired of waiting, so I dropped the steaks with some olive oil "love" onto the hot grilles and turned them about every 30 seconds until the IT was 135 to 140F. they weren't seared as well as I would have liked, but they came out fine! Everyone loved them, and even my wife who swears she doesn't like steak ate the whole thing !

As they went on the plates, they got a bath of the ribeye roast "gravy" left over from Christmas.

Happy New Year !
        Last edited by BruceB; January 1, 2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Congrats! Temp below freezing...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here