Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Tri Tip With Board Sauce...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Tri Tip With Board Sauce...

Got some prime grade tri tips from Creekstone Farms a couple weeks back. Pulled one out of the freezer and let thaw in the fridge during the week to be ready for this weekend. The wife was gone for the day kids were all busy elsewhere so it was a nice quiet day I could spend preparing something for my self, like a entire tri tip!!

Any way here is the victim.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	468608

Dry brine for about 4 hours and then seasoned with a bit more salt and lots of black pepper and onto the smoker. Here it is at about 120 IT. Don't know why this pic got sideways on me. Like my fancy new pit temp monitoring device? Yep everybody's gonna want one now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	468609

So now it's time to get the fire ready for the sear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	468610

Before all this started I made a board sauce in the morning. It's been in the fridge letting all the flavors get to know each other all day. Fresh herbs were Thyme, Rosemary and Oregano, 2 cloves of garlic minced. Added juice from 1 lemon, salt, pepper and of course olive oil. I spread it out on the board while the tri tip is getting it's sear on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	468611

Sear baby sear!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	468612

Right from the flames and onto the board sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	468613

Wasted no time started slicing right away to get those juices to mingle with the board sauce. I didn't take the time to line everything up like a fancy brisket all sliced up. I was getting hungry by now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	468614

Plated up. I smoke roasted some red potatoes and onions with a maple garlic seasoning I got from the spice House. It's a awesome blend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0010.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	468615

Another crappy picture. It got all washed out for some reason. But I made a orange creme brulee for desert. It looks like a cereal bowl in the pic but it's a 3" ramekin. I don't make creme brulee often enough it was fantastic! And I get to play with more fire!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	468616

Almost forgot. I found these pork steaks in the freezer too. I wet brined them in apple juice and Oak Ridge BBQ's Game Changer Brine mix and seasoned with Butchers Blend Back O' The Yards seasoning also from the Spice House and smoked em up. Didn't eat one they are for leftovers today and tomorrow I was devouring that tri tip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SANY0003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	468617

First time with the board sauce. I know it won't be the last! The flavors were incredible. All I can say is if you haven't tried a board sauce yet get after it!

Ok, no thought here for me. I ordered 3 tri-tips from Creekstome 6 weeks ago. Took one out 3 days ago, and was wonderin what I was going to do, figurin I ‘d browse through & see what to do, bein this is my first tri-tip & you do this. Well you made it very easy for me, I’m cookin it tomorrow. Thanks in many ways. Great pics. I’ll be doing mine in a 22 w/SnS. Thanks again for making it so easy.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are looking for something different For the remainder of your tri tips, look up the Santa Maria style rub that is used on these out west. It’s phenomenal you won’t be disappointed!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea no pix it didn't happen, nada, zilch, zippo, otherwise banned, you're deported

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      But not departed! 🤠

Absolutely beautiful! I've yet to do one but where I live now they are available locally.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
      Ok, no thought here for me. I ordered 3 tri-tips from Creekstome 6 weeks ago. Took one out 3 days ago, and was wonderin what I was going to do, figurin I ‘d browse through & see what to do, bein this is my first tri-tip & you do this. Well you made it very easy for me, I’m cookin it tomorrow. Thanks in many ways. Great pics. I’ll be doing mine in a 22 w/SnS. Thanks again for making it so easy.
      You won't regret it FireMan glad I could be of some help. I can get you the exact recipe of the board sauce if you like but I just kind of winged it anyhow. Rough chop as many kinds of herbs as you want in whatever quantity you want. Don't forget the lemon juice though the acidity kind of brings it all together.

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

You da man! Awesome cook! That’s exactly how I do my tri tips too. Love the board sauce, always fresh.

Comment

That looks delicious! Thanks for showing it off to us.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Awesome job.
                Did my first tri tip about a week ago as well. Made up a board sauce almost exactly like yours. It was incredible. 👍👍👍

Comment

That looks phenomenal. I've never made a board sauce, that's something I would like to try now. Can board sauce be used for anything, or does it only work well for certain cuts?

Comment

Nice cook!

Comment

Love me some tri tip! That board sauce looks good too!

Comment

Wow!! Nice write up and cook!! That first pic looks like the B-1 bomber, I’ll bet that meat turned out to be the bomb !!!

Comment

Great Post! And great job on that Tri Tip!!! That's not a cut of beef we typically work with here in Michigan. Not sure I've even seen one in the Supermarket. But I'm moving to Western South Dakota in a couple weeks. That's Beef country and I suspect Tri Tip is more readily available. I look forward to working that into my repertoire...

Comment

• FireMan
                            FireMan commented
                            Editing a comment
                            PJBowmaster, happy trails.

• Skip
                            Skip commented
                            Editing a comment
                            PJBowmaster you will probably pass right by me in Blue Earth MN on I90. Stop and see the Green Giant Statue and give me a wave! Safe travels too!

• PJBowmaster
                            PJBowmaster commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hey Skip, I have a good friend in Blue Earth. But I don't usually go that way. I usually take I 80 to I 29 to I90 then West to the Black Hills....

BOOM. Home run! Looks FANTASTIC. Love me some tri-tip w/board sauce!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here