Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Tri Tip With Board Sauce...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PJBowmaster I had a hard time finding them here in Minnesota as well. Never seen one in a grocery store around here and still haven't. I hooked up with a local food service company a few years ago and could source tri tips through them.
    I have to buy a case at a time which is no problem but these are prime grade that I got through Creek Stone Farms. These were trimmed up nicely and I didn't need to do much at all as far as trimming. The ones I get through the food service has a fat cap on them and are choice grade but still very good.

You can actually peel the fat cap off a tri tip in one piece if you do it right. Kind of like removing the membrane from a rack of ribs.

Comment

F S, I done dood it. Pics on show what you’ve been cooking. Thanks again.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Well let me see. I love the stuff.

I didn’t want to steal your thunder, which is why I posted results on the whatcha cookin thread. The sauce was good, but I think I used a little to much lemon (1/2). But, my wife thought it was great on the broccoli that we cooked. So it was a winner all around.

Comment

Now dang it you guys, especially you Frozen Smoke, I just paid Crown Cow a bunch of money for a Black Angus Tri-tip, coming on Friday. You guys owe me....well something.....guess I need to post it somewhere too. Is this officially tri-tip week or what?

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be looking for your post on those tri tips. I think every week could and maybe should be tri tip week they are so dang good!

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        I didn’t want to steal your thunder, which is why I posted results on the whatcha cookin thread. The sauce was good, but I think I used a little to much lemon (1/2). But, my wife thought it was great on the broccoli that we cooked. So it was a winner all around.
        No problem FireMan your cook looked great! I used the juice from a whole lemon maybe 3 or 4 table spoons and I didn't notice it being too strong. But then my taste buds are getting old and less sensitive! Next time I might try a flavored olive oil and a different herb combo? But then again maybe I'll just leave good enough alone.

Comment

That tri-tip looks PERFECT! Great job!

Comment

I’m playin’ catch up here, tri-tip is thawing!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Mebbee ya should use one of them hair dryer things to speed the thawin up. Member, we want pics.

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              There's been a run on those dryers, seems northerners are using em to bring spring in.....

that looks awesome. you're making me hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
              Got some prime grade tri tips from Creekstone Farms a couple weeks back. Pulled one out of the freezer and let thaw in the fridge during the week to be ready for this weekend. The wife was gone for the day kids were all busy elsewhere so it was a nice quiet day I could spend preparing something for my self, like a entire tri tip!!

Any way here is the victim.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.0 KB ID:	468608

Dry brine for about 4 hours and then seasoned with a bit more salt and lots of black pepper and onto the smoker. Here it is at about 120 IT. Don't know why this pic got sideways on me. Like my fancy new pit temp monitoring device? Yep everybody's gonna want one now!

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	468609

So now it's time to get the fire ready for the sear.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0005.jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	468610

Before all this started I made a board sauce in the morning. It's been in the fridge letting all the flavors get to know each other all day. Fresh herbs were Thyme, Rosemary and Oregano, 2 cloves of garlic minced. Added juice from 1 lemon, salt, pepper and of course olive oil. I spread it out on the board while the tri tip is getting it's sear on.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	468611

Sear baby sear!

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	468612

Right from the flames and onto the board sauce.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0007.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	468613

Wasted no time started slicing right away to get those juices to mingle with the board sauce. I didn't take the time to line everything up like a fancy brisket all sliced up. I was getting hungry by now!

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0009.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	468614

Plated up. I smoke roasted some red potatoes and onions with a maple garlic seasoning I got from the spice House. It's a awesome blend.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0010.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	468615

Another crappy picture. It got all washed out for some reason. But I made a orange creme brulee for desert. It looks like a cereal bowl in the pic but it's a 3" ramekin. I don't make creme brulee often enough it was fantastic! And I get to play with more fire!!

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	468616

Almost forgot. I found these pork steaks in the freezer too. I wet brined them in apple juice and Oak Ridge BBQ's Game Changer Brine mix and seasoned with Butchers Blend Back O' The Yards seasoning also from the Spice House and smoked em up. Didn't eat one they are for leftovers today and tomorrow I was devouring that tri tip.

Click image for larger version Name:	SANY0003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	468617

First time with the board sauce. I know it won't be the last! The flavors were incredible. All I can say is if you haven't tried a board sauce yet get after it!

What IT did you take it off smoke to sear? 130?

How long was the sear?
              Thanks for the write up!!!

Comment

smokenoob I took it of the smoker just a tad over 120 IT. I seared for may be 2 minutes per side flipping it twice. I didn't take the final IT but I'm guess it came in at about 130 which is right where I like it. It had some nice pink on it and the flavor was outstanding!

Comment

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome! Thanks! Mine goes on Wednesday!

• Frozen Smoke
                  Frozen Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem smokenoob glad I could help. Will look forward to seeing your results!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here