Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket cooking time gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket cooking time gas grill

I'm new to the forum, joined today. My name is Elliot and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Been practicing brisket since January, my goal for 2018 being to get this down. I have had some ups and downs but am learning and want to cook it every weekend. I have read the main brisket article on Amazing Ribs & in the Meathead book but wanted a bit more color on timing with respect to my grill situation (2014 Fire Magic with Grill Grates, natural gas).

Previously I have cooked 5-7lb flats. Tomorrow I am cooking my first 12lb whole packer with the point. Previously, I have struggled with grilling time but felt that for those, 1.25hrs of grill time per untrimmed pound at 225 degrees - with a texas crutch aluminum foil and no holding period - was my formula. So for my 12 pounder that would indicate about 14 hours. Frankly, I am not going to be able to have more than 12 hours total for cooking & holding (I have 3 kids and some other things to do!).

Any advice on cooking time given the 12lb whole packer, 12 hr total time restriction, and my gas grill, is much appreciated.

Welcome epope011

Comment

Welcome to the Pit epope011 from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here. We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. Sorry I can't help you with your situation, I don't use gas nor have done a brisket yet. Someone with experience will be around soon.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
        • To check your email, go to User settings then the Account tab'? You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
        • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. In order to cook your brisket faster, raise the temp. 250* - 275* should work well. And rest that baby in a faux cambro for several hours if possible. Temp to crutch varies from person to person here. Generally crutching happens between 150* - 180*. The longer you wait, the better the bark will be. One more point - briskets starts to dry out as soon as it it sliced, so don't slice until ready to eat, and don't slice "extra". Here's another point - save the juices and either let people dip their meat in it, or pour it over the meat when you serve.

Comment

• epope011
            epope011 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks everyone.

With the highest temp, how much percentage faster might you guess the cook would take? All of this is so helpful thank you.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't smoke a lot of brisket, but Jerod Broussard might have the answer. But if it's done early, that's good. You can faux cambro for at least 4 to 6 hours without any problems. In fact, it will get better. Just keep a probe in the meat and if it gets close to ~ 145*, put it in your oven and set it to the lowest temp. Most oven's lowest temp is 170*.

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Glad to have ya here!
          Best of luck with yer packer cook!

Comment

Welcome from Winnipeg. I agree with the advice a bit higher temp, and the hold period.
            i thought I might be able to post a link to another post, but can't figure it out. Do a search for brisket hot and fast, and you will likely come to a post started by ColonialDawg about cooking a brisket at higher temps.
            Last edited by jgreen; March 16, 2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

I will cook my briskets in the 250-275 range, but don't really go by time. I know about when to pull it, but for the most part, if the probe goes in like butter, its ready to roll. It just takes a little trial and error. Welcome by the way

Comment

I agree with the increased heat idea. I've never attempted a whole packer brisket on a gasser before, that's really a challenge and something I'd like to see the results of. The dirty little secret in most large scale bbq joints is fast and hot. Some of them cook briskets at 300-325* so they can have them for next day's service in 6-8 hours. Even Aaron Franklin, the supposed king of brisket, cooks his at at least 275*. So don't be afraid to crank up the heat. The techniques in Meathead's article and those above still apply, so read very carefully.

I'm also going to throw something else out at you. I know some guys here may disagree with this, but cooking in a foil pan, especially on a gasser, can also help with your cook times. Elevate the meat in the pan with a cooling rack so it's suspended. You loose some bark at the bottom but if the bottom is fat cap it's not that big a loss. When you hit the stall simply wrap the pan with foil and the juices you've collected help steam the meat to probe tender.

However you do it, hang in there, its trial and error but you will get it. Let us know the results, with pictures please !!!

Comment

• Keltonfoss
                    Keltonfoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with you here. I mean, for the most part he is not going to get much of a smoky flavor anyway, and the bark will be minimal at best. In this case, it may even be ok to recommend a foil crutch as well..

I've done a brisket all barked up and ready to hold in 5.5 hours in the Pit Barrel (no wrapping until the hold). I was cooking a turkey and a chuck roast at the same time, hence the 350 degree heat.

I've had quite a few that were barked, ready to wrap, and not close to being done and NEEDED TO BE. That's when a wrap and a 350 degree oven really come in handy.

Comment

I started at 9am and it's now 3pm ET. Meat temp has not stopped rising and is 164. No wrap yet. I have 5.5hrs until serving so I'm hoping its done in 4hrs and can hold 1.5hrs. Its been about 240degrees surface temp on average but now 275. Picture attached. Decent smoke from oak chunks and water pan.

Thank you to everyone in The Pit!!! 🙏

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180317_145433_exported_4699841292321506777.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	468290

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like it could work! Moving it up to 275 was appropriate!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here