Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short ribs cook and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short ribs cook and question

Click image for larger version

Name:	26FC792E-3143-4B00-B24C-AD3FDE14ED16.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	465983 cooking and looking at these beauties never gets old! I’m happiest when I’m cooking low n slow with smoke. One question....I see they say on the site to pull beef cuts such as this at 203. Some of the areas were 195 and others 203-4. What reading should you base your instant read thermometer on? Center of meat? If that’s the case wouldn’t the sides dry out?
    Okay...that was more than one question

Once you get up near the 195*+ mark. The temps don’t really matter. Go more by feel. When you probe it you should feel like you’re probing a stick of warm butter. No resistance at all. That’s what you want.
    You’ll be good to go my friend.

Comment

The "reading" I rely on is how easy the temp probe slides through the layers rather than what the temp actually reads. They are done when they are "probe tender", not at a specific temp! Then hold in faux cambro for at least an hour (preferably 2 or 3) just to ensure they are DONE!

Comment

Short Ribs had a ton of delicious fat. I like to cook mine past 203, so that fat renders to absolute perfection. If you want to make pretty, firm slices, then pull at 203ish, as pushing past that makes them soft.

As Steve B and HorseDoctor mentioned, the probe going in warm butter smooth is mandatory. I push past that if the ribs had great marbling and I want that perfect mouth feel of the completely rendered fat.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Spoken like a pro!

I have took them to IT of 210 F. more than once and they were perfect.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Very good ideas. They came out great. Most of the fat rendered and the family enjoyed them. Can’t see it here for some reason but they had a bright pink smoke ring and crisp bark Click image for larger version  Name:	13C0D73A-AF62-4BE1-B201-E3F1181CEA8A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	466032

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yea... that's the way top do it!!! Congrats!

Sweet pics!

I should be cooking some next weekend. I plan to run 250-275 with just salt and pepper.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            I ran my cook at 225 but may up it next time. After nine hours they were at IT of 180s. Had to up the heat to 325-50 to finish them in time for dinner.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh look at that shiny new avatar! Proud poppa!!! Now I know the reason for the previous pellet Avatars. I’ve got some plates in the freezer, maybe a pellet pooper rib throw down?

Those ribs would be welcome on my plate any day brother!!! They look amazing Sfdrew28 !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here