Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dueling Chuck Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dueling Chuck Roast

After reading several posts lately about some of you guys smoking stuff in pans the covering to push through the stall I decided to try something myself.
    I bought 2 choice chuck roast, both approximately 3 lbs each. Dry brined with salt uncovered over night in the fridge.
    Rubbed them both down lightly with Meatheads BBBR.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	39B3CF6D-EC70-4E41-A5F6-59D59154DC88.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	463796
    Cooked/Smoked them both on my pellet grill at 235F. I used my smoke tube to add a little more smoke during the first hour.
    After two hours I took one roast and placed it on top of a big bed of onions and peppers in a aluminum pan and added a can of beef consommé soup then covered it.
    to my surprise the both finished within 20-30 mins of each other. I cooked both too an IT of 195F...I like mine sliced instead of pulled.

Name:	C247E136-EB27-47A6-BE27-C39DA209BFE9.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	463798Click image for larger version

Name:	31C84421-CA38-4F62-ACCD-307542279F7C.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	463797

The panned roast was absolutely perfect, moist and very tender with a nice peppers and onions flavor. It didn’t have as much bark as the uncovered but keeping it out of the juice most of the cook helped. I’m thinking I could have waited another hour or two before panning it or cooking it on the kettle with better smoke would have put it over the top!!

The unwrapped was still pretty good and had a deeper smoke flavor but was a little dry in spots. But was still pretty darn good.

Name:	45231A4B-1B44-453E-B5B6-03478C85D418.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	463799
    All in all i liked the one cooked in the pan best. It took on a great flavor of the veggies.
    Sorry i didn’t get any picks of it sliced up but they were eaten as fast as I could cut them up!!

Great cook. I may have to try panning one too.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Love th science project, great lookin food, too!
        Thanks!

Comment

The panned one looks amazing!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            It even had more of a steak texture, I’m going to do more of these, maybe on my kettle to impart a little more smoke flavor. If I were going to feed 15-20 people beef, this might end up being my go to way.

Nice test. Never tried the pan, but now I need to. Thanks.

Comment

Nice cook. We like onions and peppers at our house so might have to give that a try.

Comment

Yup, I’m definitely a pan guy. Nice comparison cook, I too am still playing with that perfect sweet spot of enough smoke/bark and covered tenderness. Thanks for your efforts once again, it reinforces my results!!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I cooked this on a pellet grill so I’m thinking if I use the kettle and same smoking time before putting it in the pan should give me great results.

Thanks for the experiment and the report!

This is still my favorite way to do a chuck roast: https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Comment

Great looking chucks! Point of clarification, did you cook the unwrapped one directly on the grates or in an uncovered pan? Thanks!

Comment

Dr ROK sorry for not getting back to you on this. I cooked the uncovered one directly on the grates.
                  Move done a couple since and for this size chuckie It can take between 4-5 hours at 225-235 before panning. That seems to be the perfect flavor for us. If you go shorter on the smoke and longer in the pan you can get a lot more onion and pepper flavor in it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here